View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 11:07 AM
ManiacQuilter2
Power Poster

Default :( HELP with making quilted Bible bags

At my last church group meeting of our SOWERS group, one of my friends who is going on a missionary trip to the Philippines (middle of September) needs 22 Bible bags to be made. Well, I have had some experience with making the grocery bags so I volunteer to help make some. The bags will be 9" wide and 11" in height.

Here is my problem. I have never dealt with making any bags with lining. YIKES!! Please remember that I have poor coordination due to Chronic Fatigue. I also can't view videos due to having a very old XP computer.

Below is the first quilt body of the bag I have made which is 12.5" height and 18.5" in width. Mine design is going to have one center seam going down the back. I am ready to attach the 27" length shoulder handle on the side edges. I was then going to sew the top edge of the bag to the lining but then this is where I get lost. Can I then sew the bottoms of the bag and the lining separate and somehow turn it right side out so I can do a French seam down the back?? Or should I sew the back seam and then do a French seam on the bottom of the bag. I just want to avoid getting myself cornered with a mess.

I know that with pillowcases, you can sew them together in one stitch and then pull the pillowcase thru the opening of the cuff. Any help will be appreciated. THANKS NO U-Tube or videos please.

And ANY pattern suggestions of using blocks with strips will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails white-bible-strips.jpg