Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Me Decide >

Help Me Decide

Help Me Decide

Old 04-20-2012, 04:50 PM

Default Help Me Decide

When I bought my laptop, I purchased a Lexmark Inkjet printer and I have really enjoyed it. I have to buy a new printer and today saw a great deal on a laser printer but couldn't decide if I would like it as much as the inkjet. Of course, all the new ones are 3 or4 in 1. I don't need a scanner, copier, fax and I don't print pictures . I have only typed some small labels for the DQS on fabric so is there any other reason I might want another inkjet over a laser?

Please give me your opinions and help me make the right decision. This board is so helpful on many subject that I hope you can help me here.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:18 PM

I have a HP that has really been a workhorse for me. I not only print out pictures of some of the beautiful quilts I see here for inspiration, I also scan and print embroidery pictures for hand embroidery or pictures for applique, I can also resize them. I have a dear friend that lives in Oklahoma and I will print off patterns and ideas from my collection for her.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:25 PM

I researched printers a lot when I wanted one to make my labels. I ended up with an Epson...everyone that prints pictures or labels for their quilts has suggested that one. I like the ink it doesn't fade or blur so much...even on paper. The Epson does come with several different Ink choices some better than others. I have the claria ink in mine, but I know there is a better choice now. I quit using my HP because my ink blurred so bad - a drop of water on an envelope smeared it.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:18 PM

If you want to copy pictures for a memory quilt or something similar you will need an inkjet printer. Laser printers won't work for this application. I too have heard and read that Epson's are the best for a quilters needs.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by sammygirlqt View Post
When I bought my laptop, I purchased a Lexmark Inkjet printer and I have really enjoyed it. I have to buy a new printer and today saw a great deal on a laser printer but couldn't decide if I would like it as much as the inkjet. Of course, all the new ones are 3 or4 in 1. I don't need a scanner, copier, fax and I don't print pictures . I have only typed some small labels for the DQS on fabric so is there any other reason I might want another inkjet over a laser?

Please give me your opinions and help me make the right decision. This board is so helpful on many subject that I hope you can help me here.

If I didn't need all the goodies, I'd not waste my money on a laser printer.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
I researched printers a lot when I wanted one to make my labels. I ended up with an Epson...everyone that prints pictures or labels for their quilts has suggested that one. I like the ink it doesn't fade or blur so much...even on paper. The Epson does come with several different Ink choices some better than others. I have the claria ink in mine, but I know there is a better choice now. I quit using my HP because my ink blurred so bad - a drop of water on an envelope smeared it.

Are your Epson and HP laser or inkjet? Wasn't that the question?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 PM

I am seeing that the laser printers have really come down in price. I saw one today that was regular $329.00 now on sale for $99.99! I kinda of remember when I bought my current inkjet that it was regular $129.00 and I got it for $29 or $39. and I think that is the only reason I purchased it. The print cartridges for the inkjets are quite pricy. Now the printers are WiFi for wireless and pretty well are 3 or 4 in one. I only got 300 pgs on a color cartridge and the laser says 1000 pgs on color so I could really have fun printing.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts here and I think I will go back and purchase the HP laser. If I really don't like it, I can always watch for a inkjet on sale sometime. You all have certainly eased the stress of making such a simple purchase easier.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Power Poster

prehaps you should contact the website for the laser printer you are considering and see if it is ok to print fabric with it- all of the comparison articles i have ever read in the quilting magazines always say --NEVER a laser printer- always an inkjet-
they may have (improved/fixed) the reason for this i'm not sure- but you should find out-
and as for pictures on fabric quality- the epson inkjet has the best ratings because they have pigma permentent ink- the hp is next in line many of the other brands the ink simply rinses right out as if it was never there.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:58 AM

I have a HP inkjet and lazerjet both...the lazerjet does the best for document printing,,nothing smears and I use the inkjet for pictures and when we travel...the lazerjet is too big to take with...but I love them both for different reasons!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:34 AM

I have an HP Deskjet that does all. It was not expensive and I don't know how I'd be without it! I scan patterns and pictures, I copy many others as well as just print with it. Would not have believed it'd become so necessary to me!