Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me with Quilting Ideas >

Help me with Quilting Ideas

Help me with Quilting Ideas

Old 08-06-2010, 02:56 PM

Ok, this was one of my first quilts. It's been aging for awhile now. I started quilting it with the embroidery design, but I didn't really know how to use my embroidery machine at the time so the designs aren't centered in the squares, so any other quilting I do, needs to be non-symetrical. Or at least I think that would be best, but feel free to give your opinions if you come up with something. I didn't stitch this same design in the pieced blocks, I wanted to do something different, but don't know what. Please don't suggest SID, I'm HORRIBLE at that, although I did think about straight lines going the opposite direction of the pieces in the block, if that makes sense. Let me know what you come up with.

I have considered micro stippling around the outside of the embroidery design to fill in the black squares, but am not sure what to do.

oh, also, because of the way I did the corners, do I have to use bias binding? I cut it already straight of grain, but I think I have enough to cut more if I need to.

Thanks for any advice!!!

Whole Quilt Top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]92766[/ATTACH]

Pieced Blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]92767[/ATTACH]

Embroidery Design
[ATTACH=CONFIG]92768[/ATTACH]

Back of Quilt,-Pieced Block Fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]92769[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-92761.jpe   attachment-92762.jpe   attachment-92763.jpe   attachment-92764.jpe  
Old 08-06-2010, 03:04 PM

I like your idea of stitching straight lines. Using a walking foot, it would be quick and easy.

Good luck and I like the both sides of the quilt.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

I like SID (stitch-in-the-ditch) Your fabrics really speak and excessive quilting might take away from that. Personally, I am not a fan of overstippling - it tends to make the quilts stiff. So it's your quilt - if SID is not enough, you can always add to it. As for the binding, the straight should work, although you will have to figure out those corners.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

I belong to QNN and just finished watching a video on choosing quilting designs. Because of this I am the odd man out here, but I don't mind! The quilting doesn't need to show up a lot on this quilt because of the busy fabrics. I would just do some kind of meander, but I also enjoy meandering and I don't really enjoy doing SID. With more practice and using the new ruler base I got I might like it more. I save my fancier quilting for quilts that will show the quilting more.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:55 PM

Both quilts are beautiful!! A loose meandering (simple design) will work well. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:01 PM

I am so new to quilting I can not give you any ideas however I love the way you did the front and the back it is fantastic.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:14 PM

I think I would do big loops-de-loops, but not over the embroidery designs.Awesome quilt!