Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me understand >

Help me understand

Help me understand

Old 09-02-2012, 06:46 AM

the way one adds borders is a personal choice - I prefer cutting from selvedge to selvedge rather than length of fabric. I know the stretch is almost nil in the lengthwise cutting, but if one is doing a large bed size quilt that would mean a whole lot of fabric to purchase just to satisfy the border lengths.........If measured and applied correctly the stretch can be well controlled and virtually eliminated from s2s border cuts.JMHO
Old 09-02-2012, 06:53 AM

I measure the center, then the edges. If there is a lot of difference I use an average. If the difference is slight I use the center measurement. As I get better the difference is less. I do short sides first, then long sides. Similar to pt quilts and patchsamkim. I like to cut my borders from 1 continuous piece but if that means buying a LOT of extra yardage I will piece them, unless I know I can use the extra fabric later.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:56 AM

If the fabric I use is in the quilt body itself, not just in the borders, I cut my border strips first, before I cut any of the rest of the pieces for the quilt body. That way my border pieces can be just one long piece. I cut them lengthwise of the fabric. I usually use 2 or three yards, depending on what size quilt I am making. I use the June Taylor slotted ruler to cut the pieces. Does that make sense?
Old 09-02-2012, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
I never thought of that but she is RIGHT. I usually sew 2-3 strips together and then cut side measurement from them and have several inches left over. I sew all strips together for binding and have only 1 piece of left over fabric. I will now start sewing all border strips together before cutting! Thanks for the great tip!!!!!
Yes, this sounds right. This way you only have one more usable piece as appossed to four scraps.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 AM

oh my-I'd be so tangled up in that much length at once-I do enough for each side at a time.For me its the waste of an inch or two -vs-time to detangle myself. I'll waste the snicket of fabric.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 AM

did my first quilt just sewing on the binding as cut---didn't take any lessoms just had at it---LA quilter said it was 1 1/2 inshes longer on one side---then found out you should measure thru the middle to get the right length---she has been much happier since and so have I
Old 09-03-2012, 09:14 AM

I cut my border stips LENGTHWISE and then use the remaining part of the piece for the blocks in the quilt. I don't have much waste that way at all. I don't like to have the seams in my borders unless the border fabric has a direction. There is mo choice then.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 PM

This is the way I do it too.
Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
Some people have their own way of thinking. I measure the center of the quilt, cut the two short sides to that length, then re-measure the center with the borders, cut the two long sides to that length.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:18 PM

Thanks for posting these links.