Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help  need to quilt this >

Help need to quilt this

Help need to quilt this

Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 AM

Smile Help need to quilt this

I am making a whole cloth polka dot quilt. It is 2 pieces of fabric sewn together and now I need to quilt it. the background is white with 1"pink polka dots. What type of quilt design would you
suggest to use??

Thank you so much.

Suz
Old 02-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

If you are doing this on a domestic sewing machine, how about cross hatching the quilt sewing diagonally following the dots (unless they are random) You could also do a larger stippling going around the dots. With no picture, I don't know how large your dots are. Good Luck !!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:23 PM
RST

I'd likely do a loose stipple/meander.

RST
Old 02-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

Are you hand or machine quilting? I think The Stencil Co. has fancy designs for whole cloth quilts. How are your FMQ machine skills? You could do a simple loop-de-loop design going around each of the polka dots or a simple large meander over the whole top. You could do a ribbon design across the quilt in rows going around the dots. The possibilities are endless and depend on your method and skills.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:03 PM

I like to look at the pattern in the fabric and then have my quilting do the opposite. IMHO, circling the dots only adds to the round shapes in the quilt, which for my own personal taste, I try to avoid. I understand some people like to augment the shapes in their fabric with similar quilting, and that's just their personal taste; there's certainly nothing wrong with it. But if I had round dots, I'd do a geometric kind of quilting. Say perhaps straight lines that have 45 degree angles in them. You could put one geometric design in the 4 corners, another along the edges, and yet a third one to the center of the quilt. That would give your quilting a "designed" look from an all over perspective.