Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help needed with design using vintage pillowcases >

Help needed with design using vintage pillowcases

Help needed with design using vintage pillowcases

Old 02-10-2014, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Oh my gosh I don't have any ideas, but your collection is gorgeous and I am quite green!!

I did a search...
Thanks so much for the links, I'm going to be busy!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:22 AM

I am soo-oooo jealous. I will be watching what you decide. The cases are beautiful! I have collected over 250 ladies hankies from family, friends and sales. The are just waiting for me to do something with. I am leaning toward a crazy patch quilt. Some are very fragile types of fabric so will probably use some sort of foundation to sew them on first. Just waiting until my brain comes up with an appropriate foundation.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I used to make pillow cases like those. In fact, that was what I gave my brides maid and made of honor when I got married. For a while I was giving them to everyone in the family. So it saddens me when I see they weren't used. So my first response is: Put them on pillows and use them! My grandmother saved the ones I made until one day she asked herself what was she saving them for?
You know, I felt that way for awhile, but we use, and have always used, king sized pillows. I have some others that just do not blend with these, so they will be saved, and I know my husband will not like sleeping on these. That way of thinking kind of helped me to use them, but in a different way
Old 02-10-2014, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by mea12 View Post
My MIL embroidered lots of sets of these but they were for standard-sized pillows so I removed the embroidered hem-parts and put them on our kings w/ a pretty band. we DO use them and i love the look. If you decide to cut it, a crazy-patch type border around a center motif would be nice...or the reverse of that with crazy-patch in the center and a plain, but scalloped border? if you use mostly white and cream for the crazy patches and keep your patches fairly good sized, the embroidery will not be lost in the design.
good idea Hmmm....
Old 02-10-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
Okay, this was the first quilt that I began working on when I retired in 2011. Hope this might give you some ideas.
Oh, how beautiful! And yes it did, lots of ideas
Old 02-10-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I have seen quilts made from vintage Hankies so there must be a way to make a quilt from these, although I don't know how. Please post again when you decide.
I have 18 hankies that I won't even attempt at this point. I'm pretty sure they came from auctions and garage sales though. One interesting thing - There are 6 hankies that were obviously for children. Maybe someday I'll have a grandchild......
Old 02-10-2014, 07:58 AM

I got to thinking, there are so many that maybe making each of my 3 kids a quilt of some sort using them would work out too. To be given to them when they are older of course, or marked with their name and left in my estate LOL
I have 3 quilts from her that are saved for them

As you might be able to tell, I'm big on 'family history' and kind of feel like I'm just the keeper of things, just to be passed on to future generations. What they do with them is up to them, but I feel obligated to do my part.

This is totally not quilt related, but it's Grandma related:
When she died she had a chest in her basement that had a scrapbook of all the newspaper clippings she thought were important to her at the time (as a kid and a young adult) and another scrapbook full of valentines she had received as a kid and young woman. This woman was in her 80's in the early 80's, so these cards are quite old.

There are many many photos of her on her honeymoon, and with my fil when he was little, for example in his pedal car, etc. Her first husband, my husband's grandfather, had a coal company that she took over when he died as a young husband. I have a photo, 8 x 10 that seems to be professionally done, of her standing in front of the company's sign. Priceless

I can tell she was a keeper too, we have my fil's collection of banks from when he was a kid that she kept, and his child sized rolltop desk and chair. Even his wire rimmed glasses!

When he was 10, my fil supposedly caused the car accident that killed his father. She never had another child, though she did remarry. You know, I should write all this down

I knew her for 3 years before she died, we were on our way to becoming good friends.

I really really treasure all of this, I can only hope they will continue to be treasured by future generations, with a few of my own creations added in.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Yes, you should definitely write it all down.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:12 AM

Yes, RugosaB, do write all this down. I am also sort of the keeper in our family, and how I wish I had asked many more questions of my dearly departed family to pass on. Your children will appreciate your writings one day! I would love to have written stories concerning my heritage. A couple of DH uncles have done just that, of which we have copies. They are treasures for sure.