Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help needed to repair old quilt ... rescued today from DH shop

Help needed to repair old quilt ... rescued today from DH shop

I went out to DH shop to take some items I had gathered in the house and what did I find? An old quilt laying in sawdust. He had found it in one of the out building at the farm. Mice had found one side too.

I am wondering how I can repair it. Maybe shorten it? Name:  DSCN0306.JPG
Views: 504
Size:  1.47 MBName:  DSCN0307.JPG
Views: 518
Size:  1.45 MBName:  DSCN0308.JPG
Views: 507
Size:  1.46 MBThank you for your thoughts.
    Vicki W

I don't know how to fix it other than to shorten it, but maybe someone else will have an idea. Just want to say it is a beautiful quilt. Love the toes too. LOL
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Blog Entries
    I think I would soak it in RetroClean first (http://www.retroclean.com ), then figure out some way to add applique on top of the holes (are those paint blotches too?), maybe scattering them around the edges so it looks planned.

When I was an antique dealer we called these quilts cutters. Of course, that implies to cut into projects or whatever. Usually, they were not restorable. Have fun making stuff out of it or whatever you choose to do. It is yours, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I think I would soak it in RetroClean first (http://www.retroclean.com ), then figure out some way to add applique on top of the holes (are those paint blotches too?), maybe scattering them around the edges so it looks planned.
    No Paint blotches, that was a puff of cotton batting. The one end is where it looks really rough.
    Vicki W

wash it before or after repair?
    Vicki W

Do it first, but no "washing", just soaking without agitation in the washer. Spin that out, fill with water to soak again without agitation, and spin the rinse water out. Repeat the same way for a second "rinse", and dry. Never in a dryer. It's best to dry flat if possible---outside in the shade ontop of a clean sheet, with another clean sheet ontop if it's under a tree and birds may soil it. If that's not possible, then hang over a clean clothesline, preferably shaded. Then proceed with your repairs. Good luck. It's great you were there to save it. I saved one once which looked like it had huge areas stained with old motor oil. It was from the 1880's. The black stains didn't come completely out, but they're faint now.

Blog Entries
    I used to cut those up to make bears and bunnies... But you could cut the bad part off and just rebind it.

Quilt Restoration

I went to Quilt Market one year and was quite impressed with this author so I bought her book "Quilt Restoration A Practical Guide" by Camille Dalphond Cognac. Glanced thru her options and yes, it would be either to make 1 smaller quilt or maybe make pillows. I have read that putting binding over existing is a bit of a challenge. I have a quilt top that was pieced my a great great Aunt of mind. My favorite Great Aunt had her quilting circle quilt it for me. She used single sided binding and even tho I have always been very carefully with the quilt, I have noticed that the binding is fraying.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 04-27-2013 at 02:11 PM.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Clean first. It would be a labor of love to un- sew the parts the mice borrowed for their mouse house, they have good taste!

Find similar fabrics and re- piece those few spots. It can be done if you feel the rest of the quilt is worth it. If the fabric seems sturdy and not dry rotted it would be one of those accomplishments that would certainly make me feel good. I really like the pin wheel in blue and white.
    Good luck and please update as you go! Thanks for wanting to save a simple sweet quilt.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast