Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!! Pieced wholecloth pattern..... >

Help!!! Pieced wholecloth pattern.....

Help!!! Pieced wholecloth pattern.....

Old 12-29-2012, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by huntannette View Post
I am looking for ideas for piecing a wholecloth type quilt for my daughter. She wants a wholecloth for her king sized bed.....she wants it pieced....we saw one somewhere but I can`t remember where. ...thank you!!!
A pieced wholecloth would be an oxymoron - sort of like Congressional Ethics and Military Intelligence. There are a lot of quilts pieced with neutrals and quilted in a trapunto pattern, maybe that's what she's talking about.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:55 AM

when i think 'pieced whole cloth' i always think of one i saw on here - http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t184706.html
yes it is pieced, but similar coloured blocks to blend in together and then whole cloth quilted over the whole top.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 AM
Banned

it would be interesting to see a picture of the quilt you found and what you want. It is difficult to give specific advice when we don't know what talking about.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM

Pat Wys wrote a book, "Spotiight on Neutrals," from That Patchwork Place that has several examples for inspiration.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by huntannette View Post
OHHHH ty ty....it`s not the exact one I saw but pretty darn close.....just what I wanted...thank you so much!!!!!!
Obviously your fortunate enough to own a LA. See how beautiful the quilting is on these quilts. The piecing is lost. Why bother piecing at all. Why not just buy a beautiful neutral piece of cotton in a neutral your daughter likes and go to town on your beautiful quilting. Because these are spectacular.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by My time View Post
Obviously your fortunate enough to own a LA. See how beautiful the quilting is on these quilts. The piecing is lost. Why bother piecing at all. Why not just buy a beautiful neutral piece of cotton in a neutral your daughter likes and go to town on your beautiful quilting. Because these are spectacular.
I agree- except I don't think the piecing is lost so much as it fights the quilting. Now, the OP's daughter obviously likes it, but I would just find a lightly marbled neutral fabric and make a real wholecloth. The quilting will be easier without the seams too

In 2013 I hope to finally make a wholecloth for our bedspread- no longarm here, you don't need one to quilt. It is just a different tool.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
I agree- except I don't think the piecing is lost so much as it fights the quilting. Now, the OP's daughter obviously likes it, but I would just find a lightly marbled neutral fabric and make a real wholecloth. The quilting will be easier without the seams too

In 2013 I hope to finally make a wholecloth for our bedspread- no longarm here, you don't need one to quilt. It is just a different tool.
Back to the bucket list of quilts-------------I'd love to do a wholecloth of the Assateague light house. But I'll have someone draw it for me so I know what my background fabric is. prefer something very pale watery blueish, green, cream.