Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help please - how do you do this?

Blog Entries

Help please - how do you do this?

I want to make blocks that have some curved pieces but no templates. I want to be able to randonly make curves on some pieces and straight regular seams on others. Like a log cabin gone wrong. Sort of like in this picture. Can this be done and if so could someone tell me how to do it? I have tried but it just doesn't work. Any tips??Name:  curved block.jpg
Views: 3345
Size:  5.8 KB
    Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings......... we simply continue to fly ........ on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that. OKAY?

Power Poster
    I have done gentle curves pieced together and I cut the piece and the background pieces stacked so that you are cutting the same curve in each piece. I don't know if that will work for what you want to do.

Blog Entries
    I have a book on this (that I can't locate right now ). Basically, you cut 2 pieces of fabric in an oversize square or rectangle of the piece you are aiming for, stack them, both right side up, cut a gentle curve with a rotary cutter, then swap the 2 fabrics, sew, and trim down to your target patch size. You get 2 patches. I'll continue to look for that book!

ETA: I can't find my copy, but this is the book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Curves...s=curved+quilt
    Last edited by PaperPrincess; 02-09-2013 at 07:47 AM.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I've never done that but would like to do so. I'll be watching this thread.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=PaperPrincess;5849229]I have a book on this (that I can't locate right now ). Basically, you cut 2 pieces of fabric in an oversize square or rectangle of the piece you are aiming for, stack them, both right side up, cut a gentle curve with a rotary cutter, then swap the 2 fabrics, sew, and trim down to your target patch size. You get 2 patches. I'll continue to look for that book!

ETA: I can't find my copy, but this is the book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Curves...s=curved+quilt[/QUOTE

Thank you, I will try and find this book because it still just doesn't work for me. I laid 2 pieces of fabric together right sides up and then put them together and sewed but they will not lay flat. The middle puckers and forms a pleat. I am only doing a gentle curve so I must be missing something........or maybe just not too bright this morning. I am going to master this somehow. LOL
    Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings......... we simply continue to fly ........ on a broomstick.

You need to put registration marks on the edges of each piece. Lay the two curves you want to sew together beside each other, back side up, and mark a line from one to the other across the cut in several places (kind of like marking notches when cutting sleeve and shoulder pieces of a blouse). When you pin the two curved pieces together to sew them, match up the marked lines. Pinning fairly close together helps, too. Curves need to be eased, even gentle ones.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clgWlrdSClA

Thank you everyone! Guess I need a visual to be able to figure things out. But look at this....I can do it!!!!! Yeah. Name:  curve 008 (2).jpg
Views: 3274
Size:  781.7 KBMaybe this video will help anyone else trying to figure this out. Hope so. I was not laying the fabrics out correctly until this lit a light bulb in my head.

Thank you all, off to start my blocks now.

There is a presser foot for curves call the Curve Master. It is available several places; here is an Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_8vbcpccewl_e

If you watch the youtube video demo it looks amazing. I bought one, but then I adopted a baby, and somehow haven't found time to test it (the foot, that is :-) . I hope you find something that works for you.

Darren

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clgWlrdSClA

Thank you everyone! Guess I need a visual to be able to figure things out. But look at this....I can do it!!!!! Yeah. Name:  curve 008 (2).jpg
Views: 3274
Size:  781.7 KBMaybe this video will help anyone else trying to figure this out. Hope so. I was not laying the fabrics out correctly until this lit a light bulb in my head.

Thank you all, off to start my blocks now.
    congrats... looks great
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    OK...now I just have to show you - I can do this. Used up some scrap pieces of fabric and this is what I got. Special thank you to PaperPrincess because you had me looking for that book and I found the video that finally made sense to me. Here it is...Name:  curve 008 (2).jpg
Views: 3247
Size:  715.8 KBLook at those curves!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast