Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP PLEASE!! Need some help from you experienced QBers!! >

HELP PLEASE!! Need some help from you experienced QBers!!

HELP PLEASE!! Need some help from you experienced QBers!!

Old 02-23-2012, 05:51 AM

Question HELP PLEASE!! Need some help from you experienced QBers!!

Ahhh! I just got done doing my first ever pieced "top" in which I made a valance to match the rag quilt I made for the crib comforter in my friend's nursery!! (Starting small!!) On to the desperation of needing your expertise!! Tuesday she went into labor 2+ weeks early! I hadn't really had my mind completely around what I am doing yet and now don't have time to "trial and error" my way around this! (I REALLY want to have it done before she gets home!!) Soooo...what would you do next?! (Right now it would fit straight across without bunching...when I asked what she prefered that's what she said..I was going to pleat the middle but gave up on that with the time crunch!)

....and should I....

*Just use a backing or do I need something in the middle layer? (Can you quilt just two layers?)
*Would I "stitch in ditch" (never done) to attach layers together? any advice?
*What would you do to attach to rod? (thinking leaving gap in the layers or attach something to tie)
*Any other advice?

Thanks so much for ANY insight you can provide!
Jeanette
Attached Thumbnails valance.jpg   chase1.jpg  
Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 AM
KR

Think I would sew on a backing.....right sides together, leaving an opening to turn right side out. Blind stitch the opening. Maybe some quick meandering free-motion all over and then add a rod pocket to the back side. BTW....very cute fabrics.....great job!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I like KR's suggestions. Also agree great job.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:13 AM

Very cute fabrics!!! I know little of curtain making, just wanted to tell you how nice the quilt and the will-be curtain are.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:23 AM

Yes, sew on a backing. That will protect the fabric from the sun. Turn right side out and stitch at the hem 1/4 inch away to keep it neat. You wouldn't want anything inside to make it too bulky. Tabs on the top would work, or the sleeve that was mentioned. I just love this! You did a really nice job with your colors and sewing!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:25 AM

I would do a plain backing. If you have a strip left over that is wide enough to fold in half, I'd use that to make a casing at the top to be the rod pocket. Quick allover meandering would stabilize it. Good luck , it's adorable!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 AM

Ooooo!! I love the sew together and turn inside out idea!! Wow...glad I threw this post out here!!! I'm not sure I could handle the all over quilting yet?! What if I did a cross (X) on each D9 square (so there would be 4 big X's and would be a big (forgive me if the term is off) cross hatch??)...and would kind of match the X's on rag quilt?! Hmmm? Or would that be better on a smaller scale?! Thanks for the input and the kind words..they are much appreciated!!
-Jeanette
Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 AM

Thanks again!!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:57 AM

If you use regular curtain lining fabric, the curtain will last longer. Sunlight damages regular cotton fabrics in a hurry. I made such curtains for my kids' rooms when they were little, and they faded out in a year or twol I didn't line them at all. Your fabrics are lovely and I like the design you used.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:59 AM

They are so cute! Chase will be kept very warm with that quilt. Love It!