Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help please >

Help please

Help please

Old 07-31-2014, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Does your dad know what he's asking? I think if I were doing this, I'd go ahead and make it as it needed to be made and tell him what he wants is inside. Is he going to take it apart a check? Sometimes dads really don't know everything they think they know and sometimes they don't know the name of the stuff they're thinking about.
My thoughts exactly. Make it the way you know it ought to be made and let it go at that. If you make it the way he thinks he wants it, he'll never be able to use it. froggyintexas
Old 07-31-2014, 06:14 PM

Please don't make the quilt too heavy. My husband is 80 years old and sometimes he has trouble with just a regular quilt. There is no way that he could handle a quilt with all your father wants inside. As others have said, he will not look to see what is inside. I think he just wants a quilt that will be very warm.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:46 AM

I wouldn't use any batting. I made a denim rag quilt for my son, backed the denim with sheets, no batting. It was very heavy & warm. If I remember right it was probably 60" x 80" I made it for him to use at the beach when he moved to Ca, after all, who cares if denim gets faded! IMHO I wouldn't use batting or flannel, as flannel is heavy as well.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:48 AM

i made several with denim, poly batting, and flannel. They were so heavy it took 2 men and a boy to lug them around but the people who got them thought they were wonderful. I'm sure they didn't slide off the bed! Try a couple of small samples. I would try denim and fleece together. That should be warm and not so heavy. Maybe he would settle for that combination.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:52 AM

My husband brought home a denim pieced quilt front and back from a thrift store. It fit a full sized bed. I don't know what was in the middle. It was tied. Wow, was it heavy!!!! My son in Alabama (love, love Alabama in the fall) took it and used it for camping. He loved the quilt but don't know if he still has it.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Browngirl View Post
Hi everyone. I am need of some advice. My 78 year old dad wants a quilt. He wants one with denim and flannel (no problem) he wants it tied (again no problem) but he wants it to have a front (top) the (stuff inside) batting in the middle, stuff jackets are made of (fleece) next to the batting and flannel on the back. Can I put all this together. I will wash the flannel and the denim before hand. I plan to do a 9 patch block because that is what he picked. He lives in the country. Thanks for your help.
Icee

You our could make a rag quilt using denim, and flannel squares on the front and the backing fleece. Denim is VERY heavy by itself. I made 2 of this type memory quilts for a lady who had her father in laws denim overhauls and a flannel shirt or two. Made them throw size and she was very pleased .
Old 08-01-2014, 06:05 AM

Note, saw a video Nancy Zieman where she explained that any fabric works for quilts but in a denim one must use 1/2 inch seam rather than 1/4 because it will fray. of course if it's serge finish then don't see the need. My heirloom quilts have curdoroy next to cotton next to silk all work well, but some wear out more than others, in between relatives used up their old sheets rather than batting.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:25 AM

My first quilt was a denim quilt made from all jeans. Squares were easy to put together but I didn't realize the weight of a full size. I backed mine with flannel and tied it. It has been years and it still goes through the wash & dryer. Quite heavy.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:03 AM

I also want to add my advise to the pile. LOL. A denim quilt is heavy by it self. Adding all those layers could possibly be too much. I would do as he asked for what he can see. Many don't understand how heavy fabric can be. It would be a crying shame if you made it as he asked and he couldn't use it because of weight.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:08 AM

You might look and find Chambray it looks like denim but is much lighter weight, then pair it with the flannel for the front pieced blocks. My sister used to use a good polar fleece then for the backing (no batting) and tied her quilts that then could with stand frequent washing and dried very quickly due to the fleece on the back. These quilts are very warm and not overly heavy then. This would be a way to provide him with the things he wants but in a way he can enjoy them. Both my parents as they got older were cold but could not tolerate heavy blankets on them. I found wool batting to be a good one to use in my quilts as it was light weight and nice and warm.