Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help in printing on Newsprint Foundation paper >

Help in printing on Newsprint Foundation paper

Help in printing on Newsprint Foundation paper

Old 03-27-2014, 04:05 AM

Default Help in printing on Newsprint Foundation paper

I have 2 HP inkjets that won't print anything on the newsprint foundation paper - ie Carol Doak. They print perfectly on regular paper. They won't copy the pattern either. They just don't like the newsprint paper. I have an HP 2510 & an HP C4200.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific printer that prints/copies on the newsprint type foundation paper? Or a tip on how I can make my printers do it? I did some research on the Internet and found tips for how to get it to feed the paper...feed only one sheet at a time and that is working, but there is nothing for printing other than a few comments about which ones "should" print on the newsprint. I wonder...do I need a laser printer? I sure hope someone out there has had success with this and is willing to share the info.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 03-27-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:22 AM

I'm sorry I can't help you with your printers, but I can confirm that laser printers do work because that is what I use. I've taken to using vellum for the patterns that have the really tiny detailed piecing, and have to feed it one or two sheets at a time, but the printer will take the newsprint as well without having to separate the sheets.

You can find vellum cheaper though office supply stores than the craft sites. I wonder if that would work for you?

Sorry for your troubles. That has to be very frustrating.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:35 AM

Take your pattern and papers to a copy shop. They should be able to print on the papers. Cheapo me buys scribble pads (60 sheets for $1) at the Dollar Tree, trim them down to 8 1/2 x 11 and am able to run them thru my printer. The paper is thin so it removes easily.

I'm not sure why your printer won't print on the papers. I have an HP all in one (ink jet )and have used the same papers as you and didn't have any problems.

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 03-27-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Take your pattern and papers to a copy shop. They should be able to print on the papers. Cheapo me buys scribble pads (60 sheets for $1) at the Dollar Tree, trim them down to 8 1/2 x 11 and am able to run them thru my printer. The paper is thin so it removes easily.

I'm not sure why your printer won't print on the papers. I have an HP all in one (ink jet )and have used the same papers as you and didn't have any problems.

I have to go to town today, so will pick up one of the scribble pads to see if my main printer likes that paper better. I have tried changing the printer cartridges. It didn't help. I may just pick up an inexpensive laser printer. I'll have to research the prices.

Thanks for your response.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:50 AM

Mine did the same thing. I found "cheap copy paper" that is thin and not thick works just as well as the foundation newsprints. Just reduce your stitch lengths and use a large needle and it pulls away.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:00 AM

I had a HP printer and it worked fine....now have an Epson WorkForce and it works even better....I can feed multiple sheets. There are settings for the type of paper on both printers. Just set for the lightest weight and see if that works. Sorry you are having trouble!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

I have an older H/P 932C DeskJet and newsprint prints fine. I do always feed one piece of paper at a time. I can only think that some reason that the printer is not feeling the paper. Can you try to feed a regular sheet and a newsprint together?? Wouldn't want to cause any damage to your print. Just a thought...
Old 03-27-2014, 06:26 AM

You might consider using freezer paper cut to 8 1/2 x 11 inches. Lightly press the newsprint paper to the freezer paper. Make sure that the leading edge is nice and flat.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

You can try this: Put piece of regular paper on top of the pattern and then copy. The newsprint is very thin so the markings may not be picked up by the printer.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 AM

My wireless HP Officejet 6500 will copy or print on anything once it's inside the printer, though I can't use very thin paper (like Kabnet wax) without it jamming. As far as not printing at all, the only problem I've been having with mine recently is not wanting to print some PDF files... it will feed the paper but then just spits it out blank on the other end. I've been wanting to get a new one because of that, and because my replacement ink cartridges are so much more expensive then some other brands, so will be watching this thread.