Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help in printing on Newsprint Foundation paper >

Help in printing on Newsprint Foundation paper

Help in printing on Newsprint Foundation paper

Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 AM

Did you change your paper settings at all? I have the HP photosmart D110 & I was just looking through options on it. Haven't used this paper but try right clicking on your printer icon in the control panel and mine has a features tab... all sorts of paper choices. On the general tab, I have mine set at plain paper, had to play with that to give further options. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

I need a new printer but there are so many available it's overwhelming. I keep a watch on Brad's Deals for a daily bargain on printers. There have been many but none so far that will scan 11 x 17 and wireless and I want those two features.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have an older H/P 932C DeskJet and newsprint prints fine. I do always feed one piece of paper at a time. I can only think that some reason that the printer is not feeling the paper. Can you try to feed a regular sheet and a newsprint together?? Wouldn't want to cause any damage to your print. Just a thought...
Your idea is good. Today I was at Office Depot asking if they had a carrier sheet for the lightweight paper. I was envisioning a plastic sleeve with only a leading edge that would help carry the thinner paper. They don't. I then thought about using a small piece of Scotch tape and taping the leading edge together with regular paper. Something has got to work.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
You might consider using freezer paper cut to 8 1/2 x 11 inches. Lightly press the newsprint paper to the freezer paper. Make sure that the leading edge is nice and flat.
Another great idea to try. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I need a new printer but there are so many available it's overwhelming. I keep a watch on Brad's Deals for a daily bargain on printers. There have been many but none so far that will scan 11 x 17 and wireless and I want those two features.
You and I must be on the same page. I have quite a few Jacqueline de Jonge paper piecing patterns that have no newsprint patterns with them. Just the original. One of my wants is an 11 x 17 copier. I saw 2 Brother all-in-one Inkjets today at Office Depot that have that functionality. I am going to continue to try to figure out why the two printers I have won't print and a fix for it. Then I'll work the issue of trying to make larger copies. The folks at OD said they had a lighter weight paper they could copy on. I am going to try that first. The problem is that they won't make a copy it if it is "copyrighted", even if in the pattern it says to "copy" the sewing pattern. That's why I am working this problem for my home.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Did you change your paper settings at all? I have the HP photosmart D110 & I was just looking through options on it. Haven't used this paper but try right clicking on your printer icon in the control panel and mine has a features tab... all sorts of paper choices. On the general tab, I have mine set at plain paper, had to play with that to give further options. Good luck!
I had never looked for that type setting on my printer. So off I went....I don't have that type setting. I went to the HP website to troubleshoot printing issues. In the notes it says to make sure I use a white paper rated for inkjet. Ok...problem solved. I can't use the newsprint paper without some assistance. I am going to try the Scotch Tape attaching the newsprint to a regular piece of paper, tomorrow morning. I'll let everyone know how that works.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:35 PM

Update on the quests to print on newsprint.... I went to Office Depot. These new Xerox copiers are a little bit complicated. After several minutes I managed to make a couple of copies on the newsprint. I got cocky and set the copies for 9. OOPS! It pulled the first 4 thin papers through and printed on them very well. It tore the next sheet in two and hung up part of it in the copier. My bad. The tech was NOT happy with me. Although there were no signs that you couldn't print on anything else, she acted like I should have known that I couldn't do it.

Lesson Learned. The Xerox will print on the paper, but only ask it to take 1 sheet at a time. The tech told me her big printers would absolutely not print on the newsprint paper. That's making me question my idea to get a printer/copier that will copy on 11x17 paper.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 PM

I, too cannot print newsprint on my HP printers. The older inkjet 6980 will print Carol Doak paper, but not newsprint. The new Photosmart 7520 won't print either newsprint or Carol Doak paper. I contacted HP and they said none of their printers have ever been tested for these types of paper. No help whatsoever. I'm now looking for a small, cheap black only printer, that will print newsprint. When I try to print the newsprint, the paper jams.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:22 AM

...need someone to "invent" a copier/ printer for quilters...one that will take our thinner paper -for PP....but please keep the cost of it reasonable!