Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help ! quilting with a duel feed on banina >

help ! quilting with a duel feed on banina

help ! quilting with a duel feed on banina

Old 03-11-2014, 04:25 AM

Default help ! quilting with a duel feed on banina

I am about to get a my first banina but it doesn't come with a walking foot , when I mentioned this to the shop I was told that it has a duel feed and I won't need a walking foot for quilting straight lines. Is this right as you can buy a walking foot but at huge expense. It is a 830 (new version)
Old 03-11-2014, 04:32 AM

Do you mean Bernina 830? If so, I thinkit has dual feed like a Pfaff, which is a built-in walking foot. You don't have to add a additional foot. My Pfaff has the same thing, they call it IDT. I just pull down a small black item at the back of the presser foot. Ask your dealer how to use your dual feed, for the price the Bernina 830 costs, it certainly entitled you to some questions asked. Didn't you also get free classes with the purchase of your machine? If you can take them, I think a lot of your questions will be answered. Also, READ your manual. I do have to admit, the manual that came with my Bernina was not as complete as the ones I have gotten with my Brothers. Brother has the best manuals of all my different machines.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:50 AM

Thank u for the reply, yes its a bernina 830 and its a used one that the shop had . There was a mention of a lesson when I was in negotiation but its so faraway. it is being delivered tomorrow and I am going to get a call to talk me through it. I have got a precious quilt to quilt on it the weekendso I was worried about the lack if walking foot.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:59 AM

I have an 820 and the dual feed is built in. I did think it was automatic, but later realized there's something in the back you lower onto the back of any of the D feet to engage it. Just check the manual. Have fun with your new machine!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:38 AM

I have the 820 and use the dual feed all the time. You can quilt straight lines with the dual feed.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:04 AM

I have the 830 and do have the separate walking foot. The dual feed is great for piecing, but the walking foot is needed for regular quilting. Some have gotten by without it, but most hard core quilters have purchased the walking foot as it does a better job with quilting 3 layers. The dual feed has its uses, but it really will depend on your needs.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:17 PM

The IDT on my Pfaff will help quilt several layers. I have stitched several layers of denim and thick upholstery fabric. I keep it engaged almost all of the time with any kind of sewing I do.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:14 AM

Banina ? It must of been a senior moment or I'll blame predictive text lol not sure. I meant as u all know "BERNINA" 830
Old 03-12-2014, 01:33 AM

Shoot, I thought there was a new machine I wasn't aware of - lol. Here I was getting ready to get it on my list! You've got to love those senior moments.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I have the 830 and do have the separate walking foot. The dual feed is great for piecing, but the walking foot is needed for regular quilting. Some have gotten by without it, but most hard core quilters have purchased the walking foot as it does a better job with quilting 3 layers. The dual feed has its uses, but it really will depend on your needs.
I definitely agree-dual feed for piecing, walking foot for quilting.