Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yikes! Feed dogs won't feed!  Help? >

Yikes! Feed dogs won't feed! Help?

Yikes! Feed dogs won't feed! Help?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:40 PM

Default Yikes! Feed dogs won't feed! Help?

I was FMQing along today and then went to switch back to piecing on another project. I am using my trusty Viking Emerald 118 and had the feed dogs lowered to FMQ. I then changed thread, bobbin, and cleaned the lint out of my bobbin area, raised the feed dogs and started to try piecing. Lo and behold, them doggies won't feed. They move up and down but not front to back so the fabric does not actually feed as it should - in fact it does not move at all. I tried redoing the things I had just done, lowering dogs, rethreading, reinserting bobbin case etc., but nada. Has anyone else had this happen?

I will have to take it in to the dealer tomorrow for an exam - and in the meantime, gasp! I am without a machine as this is my only one.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:42 PM

Is your stitch length set to "0" ?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 PM

Did you have the faceplate off when cleaning out the lint? I would try removing it and the bobbin case and then reassemble. Check to see if some thing is blocking the movement by leaving the faceplate off, taking out the needle (so you don't run it in your finger). Then try SLOWLY running the machine to see if you see any reason the feed dogs aren't running properly.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:35 PM

I would also try turning off the machine and then turning it back on again. Sometimes that has happened to me and doing this reset the machine and everything was fine.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

sounds like the stitch length is set to '0'
Old 02-06-2012, 04:34 AM

I had that trouble with my Viking Emerald 183.. I didn't even lower the feed dogs for anything but they quit working and was pulling fabric thru. so took it back they shipped it off and came back with an adjustment and cleaning. working good for right now but it is under warranty for 6 more months. time will tell but sure hope the adjustment was all it needs. bummer..
Old 02-06-2012, 06:47 AM

I am so stupid!! Virtual Bernie and Quiltnan you are on my sunshine list today! It was the stitch length! Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!! Woo hooo!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:31 PM

Lucky you. I have a viking saphire 870 .... for the longest time it would just stop feeding the fabric through. sometimes after 30 min of sewing sometimes five stitches....at first I just turned if off and waited a few min. then back on and it worked...did that until it wouldn't work at all.....took it in and they said they had to readjust it as the timing was off....forgot what it cost me but bless their hearts they gave me a new machine to use until mine was fixed....I have had NO problems since.....I do love the machine and the dealer I bought it from. They have been more than accommodating in helping me
Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
Lucky you. I have a viking saphire 870 .... for the longest time it would just stop feeding the fabric through. sometimes after 30 min of sewing sometimes five stitches....at first I just turned if off and waited a few min. then back on and it worked...did that until it wouldn't work at all.....took it in and they said they had to readjust it as the timing was off....forgot what it cost me but bless their hearts they gave me a new machine to use until mine was fixed....I have had NO problems since.....I do love the machine and the dealer I bought it from. They have been more than accommodating in helping me
Glad to hear you had a good dealer experience. I love my Viking. I bought mine from Joanns so there is no dealer - I would have to take it to a local sewing machine repair guy (and spend money I can't afford! EEK!). I am just so relieved it was a user error and not a mechanical problem - I seriously don't know what I would do without a sewing machine!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 PM

It's always good to have a backup machine....watch for a nice used one on eBay, craigslist, etc.