Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help, Rag t-shirt quilt

Can anyone tell me where I can get some info on how to put together a rag t-shirt quilt. Any help would be REALLY appreciated!! :)

A tee shirt won't rag, it also needs to be "stabilized" before you were able to work with it.

Hi, I have already stabilized the t-shirts but I know I saw somewhere that you could attach the flannel fabric to the t-shirt and then it would rag-up, just not sure how to attach it to my squares to make the seam. I hope I'm explaining this good enough.

The flannel would "rag" but the tee shirt wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltylori
    Can anyone tell me where I can get some info on how to put together a rag t-shirt quilt. Any help would be REALLY appreciated!! :)
    I found this once on making a t-shirt quilt. See attachment.
    Hope it helps. It is very short instructions for those wondering since it's just a download.

T-Shirt Quilt Instructions

So you would just use the flannel as the backing for each block, sew the blocks together with seams showing on the t-shirt side. When you clip, the flannel will rag. Use SEARCH at the top of this page & type in rag quilts if you need more direction.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltylori
    Hi, I have already stabilized the t-shirts but I know I saw somewhere that you could attach the flannel fabric to the t-shirt and then it would rag-up, just not sure how to attach it to my squares to make the seam. I hope I'm explaining this good enough.
    Here is a link about making rag quilts with flannel. Maybe it will help. Good Luck!

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa.../rag_quilt.htm

So if I understand it correctly, using flannel as the backing, once it "rags" after washing the seam from the t shirt fabric would not show on the front? Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    So if I understand it correctly, using flannel as the backing, once it "rags" after washing the seam from the t shirt fabric would not show on the front? Is that correct?
    I think it depends on how you sew it....if you attach the flannel as sashing to each t-shirt (to make each square the same size) and then layer your squares your batting (flannel again on the inside) and backing...I don't think the t-shirt seams will show..hmmmm, I found under "search" a lady who made one of these and she is helping me out. I typed in t-shirt rag quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    The flannel would "rag" but the tee shirt wouldn't.
    I agree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast