Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Sewing Polyester Quilt Tops >

Help! Sewing Polyester Quilt Tops

Help! Sewing Polyester Quilt Tops

Old 04-16-2010, 01:57 PM

How do I set the tension for stitching these? I have an 19"Homesteader, and would like any input.
Don't like polyester........anything!!!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 02:01 PM

Personally I'd pitch it and use something else but it's probably something that someone hooked you into doing. SO, just use a ball point needle and you should be fine. To be honest you'd be better off tying it.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Banned

This is where you need a vintage machine that has the stretch stitch just for polyester. SewJoyce got the only machine I had that would sew it from me so you might want to ask her if you can borrow it.

See if you can find a early 70's sewing machine on CL and buy it just for the quilt. you can find them pretty cheap and the are built really well so it would make a great back up machine!

But it is my understanding that the stretch stitch is the way to go with sewing polyester.

Billy
Old 04-16-2010, 03:49 PM

Why polyester? Not the type of fabric for piecing quilts.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:50 PM

My Mom was the polyester queen so I have many pieces. I just keep putting them back on the shelf. I don't know if I will ever sew them. We shall see.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

A ballpoint needle for sure would help. :D:D:D
Old 04-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by raptureready
Personally I'd pitch it and use something else but it's probably something that someone hooked you into doing. SO, just use a ball point needle and you should be fine. To be honest you'd be better off tying it.
I have one to do for a friend. I'm going to tie it off. Much easier and less stress.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:40 PM

I just finished one a couple of weeks ago. My DIL wanted a polyester quilt to use on their couch. She said the 3 kids would ruin any other fabric. I have a Tin Lizzie and I kind of tacked it on the frame. I sewed circles about the size of a quarter (sewn 4-5 times around) in the center of alternate blocks. My thought was that this will be more secure than just tying it. I hope it lasts. I'm not doing another---ever.
Butterflywing has made some beautiful polyester quilts, maybe she will chime in here with info.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:52 PM

You will not need a stretch stitch if you are going to use batting and backing and quilt the blocks. Stretch stitch was used so that the garment would not tear when put on or taken off and during wear- it provided extra "give". Many polyester knit garments did not need zippers, but did need the extra give to fit properly.
Use a normal straight stitch and a new ballpoint needle, poly/cotton thread. You should be fine (except for the feel of that fabric!)
Old 04-16-2010, 07:21 PM

I totlly understand your not liking polyester for quilts but they can be wonderful too. I don't have any tips for you other than whats already been given. I just wanted to encourage you to finish it up. My grandmother, she's been gone 20 years now but made only polyester quilts. I have many around the house and they've held up great. One of the last ones she worked on was given to me and out of respect to her decided I'd do my best to finish tying it. I had never done any quilting but after tyiing that quilt I was hooked. Love those polyester quilts and you never know who may fall in love with yours or if like me it will be the quilt that h