Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!! Should I upgrade to8900-my 7700 having a bad hair day >

Help!! Should I upgrade to8900-my 7700 having a bad hair day

Help!! Should I upgrade to8900-my 7700 having a bad hair day

Old 03-10-2015, 09:30 AM

The 8900 does have a knee bar lift, making it easy to do pivoting hands-free. I use it all the time, plus it's kind of a built-in thigh master, lol.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:26 PM

Sorry you're having problems. I bought a 7700 when they first came out and really love it. Never had a problem. Best machine I've ever had.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
I was a huge Janome fan until I tried a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 at the Edinburgh Quilt Show. .....!
It's interesting how different we all are. I bought a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 last year to replace my Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 (my first machine) because of all I'd heard about the IDT system. Once the excitement of having a new machine had passed, I really came to dislike the Pfaff. Despite being more than 3 times the price of the Singer, I didn't think the Pfaff was as good. With the IDT, puckering was a big problem and something I rarely experienced on the Singer with just a cheap walking foot. With the Pfaff I always felt I was 'working' to get what I wanted rather than sewing and enjoying it.

Anyway, on a spur of the moment decision at a quilt show last weekend, I bought a Janome 8900QCP Special Edition (has a blue front instead of the grey. Also no need to draw up the bobbin thread which I think you have do on the grey-fronted one). I've already finished my first quilt on it and it seemed so easy compared what I said above about 'working' with the Pfaff.

I've only had it a week but I think I'm going to like the Janome as much as I liked my Singer (in all honesty, I could've saved a lot of money and stuck with the Singer which is a perfectly good machine for quilting. Unfortunately I have the disease of wanting the latest and best I can afford).

I still have my Singer and my Pfaff in case I need 'backup machines'.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:49 PM

Wishing you good luck. So many machines, and there is one that is just right for you. I had the 6600, traded up for the 7700, traded again for the 8900 and loved them all!
Old 08-07-2015, 06:31 AM

I have a janome which I love for small piecing. I went to. A quilt class in Nottingham where they gave use different husqvanas to use. They were fantastic with dt what ever and pivot. I fell in love with them after only a few hours sewing. I believe they match with the pfaff machines.
I'm saving up for one of them.
go to your dealer see if he will look again at your machine. If it has a problem he may not want it to part exchange for the other machine. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by EvelynB View Post
I bought the 7700 too. Thought I needed the lights. Biggest money mistake I've ever made! Janome quit making that machine after so many of us had problems. Mine works well the first few days after a repair but develops problems quickly. I've tried to trade it in all over Texas and dealers laugh at me. It's their Edsel.
I had the same problems with the 7700. I upgraded to the 8900 and like it a lot. I have been unable to sell or trade the 7700, it sits in my sewing room as a reminder of money wasted.