Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with slide plate on Singer 401A >

Help with slide plate on Singer 401A

Help with slide plate on Singer 401A

Old 09-24-2011, 07:20 PM

I have a 401 and 201 and they are the main machines that use. Just got a 99k but waiting on new belt for it. She is so cute, like a mini 201.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:26 PM

What do you think of the 404? Just saw one posted in my area for $35. in a nice small size cabinet. The machine came with button holer, zigzagger and looks to be in good shape.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by sammygirlqt
What do you think of the 404? Just saw one posted in my area for $35. in a nice small size cabinet. The machine came with button holer, zigzagger and looks to be in good shape.
The 404 is as good as the 401A & 403A as far as quality, but it’s a straight-stitch only machine, and therefore not as popular for general sewing that calls for a multitude of stitches. IMO, it does a better SS than the 401 or 403 because it’s specifically built to do it. The feeddogs are narrower and match the SS foot better than the wider ZZ feeddogs of the other machines.

We used Grandma Maw’s 404 a lot for SS, especially at remote locations like classes, partly because of the quality stitch, but also because it has the portable case. I used it to make some heavy canvas bags, and it's great for that. For quilting work, once we got a 221 for portability, and a 301A for SS and FMQ in the cabinet, the 404 now sets on “standby” by no fault of its own.

The button holer will produce nice consistent button holes, but while the zigzagger is fun to play with, it’s not equal to a ZZ machine.

CD in Oklahoma

Grandma Maw's Singer 404
[ATTACH=CONFIG]261994[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-261941.jpe  
Old 09-25-2011, 05:00 AM

Beautiful!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MonnaL
I take that as testimony that they are good machines? :)

I'm carrying around a Domestic in the trunk of my car. I have no idea if it works or not, and it's incredibly dirty and gunked up with black grease. But the woman at the estate sale practically forced it on me, so I brought it home. Don't know when I'll ever do anything with it, mainly because I can't find out much about those machines. And it weighs a ton!
When it comes to getting a machine up and running it doesn't matter what kind it is. If you can get a manual that would be the first step. Here is a tutorial video. I'm sure it is a different machine and different time era but the principles are exactly the same.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-155695-1.htm
Old 09-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sammygirlqt
Those are a fine machine - They were used in home ec classes back in the day when people actually learned to sew. Good price if it works and is all there. I bought 20 of them once - from a school. None of them worked. All but 2 work now.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:11 PM

Wonderful videos! I thoroughly enjoyed them. Thanks so much for sharing!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by MonnaL
Odd that both of these machines are missing those plates - they don't look like they would slide off that easy.
A lot of Singer model 66's are missing the plate, also, and someone mentioned that possibly the original owner just couldn't figure out how to get it back on so they would get lost or separated from the machine.

Congratulations on your 'new' machine!!!