Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: what kind of thread do u use for sewing your blocks?

I use Coats and Clarks wondering if there is something better but not too expensive?
    I love this board :-D

I use Aurifil. It's fine and strong. It may seem expensive but there's a whole lot of yardage on one spool.

I too use Aurifil - I have been sewing for over 35 years and have found th e more you invest the better the end product in other word you get what you pay for - I looked online and found thread for like 8 bucks a spool for the big spools tons of thread on the spool don't think over all it really costs that much more....

Gutterman or Mettler...mostly out of habit, I guess. Cheap thread will kill your machine over time. I also have a ton of prewound bobbins because I long arm. If I happen to run out of sewing thread, I finish off a pre-wound so it doesn't go to waste.

Blog Entries
    I also use thread from Connecting Thread and thread from Long Creek Mills

Blog Entries
    Quilt Police are probably gonna be knocking at my door as soon as I post this, but, I use Serger thread. Comes in a large, very inexpensive spool. So far my work is holding up. Maybe not for 100 years, but I'll be dead by then and won't care! Just my way of keeping my costs down.

Connecting Threads. Good quality and not expensive.

I love Aurefil thread, but also use Mettler and Gutterman. I tend to use Mettler or Gutterman more frequently because only one LQS carries Aurefil and her selection is very limited. I rarely get the forethought to buy online, but am seriously thinking about getting one of their thread collections for my use. I tried Coats and Clark but did not like it - it frayed and fuzzed all over the place!

I use Coats & Clark--my machine loves it. I do clean my bobbin area frequently. I humbly disagree that the the more expensive threads are better; my machine skips stitches with Auriful. My advice: try different threads, see what you and your machine like and then use that. I also like ConnectingThreads thread and buy when it's on sale.

I use Coats and Clark and Serger thread.

I use Gutterman with a 40% off coupon from JoAnn.

I like Gutterman and stock up when JoAnn's has a sale. I usually use cream for everything except applique. I recently stocked up on Connecting Threads, and I think I like it--a lot--and you certainly get plenty of thread on each spool.
    Sue

I get less fuzz in the bobbin case when I use Coats and Clark, rather than the more expensive kinds. Maybe its just my machine. Gutterman especially.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    C&C causes the most lint. There was even a scientific study on this. Showed the threads under microscope. It was scary what the C&C thread looked like. Only thing worse was that really cheap 3 for $ stuff!

I love Aurifil, but generally use Signature, Guterman or YLI!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    I use Coats & Clark--my machine loves it. I do clean my bobbin area frequently. I humbly disagree that the the more expensive threads are better; my machine skips stitches with Auriful. My advice: try different threads, see what you and your machine like and then use that. I also like ConnectingThreads thread and buy when it's on sale.
    skipped stitches are not the thread, it is the needle/thread combo not working!

Blog Entries
    Could everyone specify which threads (names) they use by Connecting Threads, Aurifil, and YLI...and Signature. Is it cotton, poly, rayon....and do they have specific names for the lines you like?

I have used the serger thread for piecing and my machine isn't picky about the thread it uses. I also like Connecting threads, too, great prices and with free shipping for purchases over $35 or $50, easy to order, too.

I use Connecting Threads and Coats and Clark. I have tried several different types of thread- my machine doesn't like any other thread. It always acts up; like it has a mind of it's own. :)
    The pricing on Connecting Threads thread is very reasonable, especially when you catch it on sale.
    CruisingStef

Gutterman to piece, I have a huge cone of connecting threads cotton but haven't tried it out yet. I also like mettler, but have to go to my LQS to get it and it is more expensive.

Long creek mills and YLI are here in our area I did a tour of the YLI factory (Actually 3 tours with different groups) anyway YLI is great for lots of stuff I know I said Aurifil but that is what I use for piecing I general use Signature for Long arming and Mettler or Gutterman for my regular sewing I use sulky or Robison-Anton for machine embroidery I use serger thread in my serger - just like tools there is a thread for every purpose and I use each oe to its purpose.....I don't use Coats and Clark because years ago I had a horrible experience with a spool that broke a lot (It was hot pink and I think the dye may have messed up the thread ) but I have never gone back.....

I am using coats and clark, using up what I have. Works very well. Lint is eay to clean out and does not scare me. For FMQ I only use connecting threads thread. I see no sense in spending lots of money to be in the cliche.

Blog Entries
    Connecting thread on the big spool

My machine actually made most of the choice for me. The Bernina said ..... I will only sew well with Aurifil and Mettler. Between the two, I prefer Aurifil.

Blog Entries
    I go to estate sales and get huge sacks of thread for $5 or less. I've gotten Coates and Clark, Sulky, Woolworth, Caravan and Excell as well as tons of embroidery thread. Works every bit as well as newly purchased thread. I now have five 16 quart bins full and a lot more I haven't sorted through.

I like Connecting Threads (great prices) and also use Superior threads. Signature thread was way too linty on my longarm compared to the other two. My machines will use anything and for the price difference Connecting Threads is the best buy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast