Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What kind of thread do you use on your long arm machine?

Blog Entries

What kind of thread do you use on your long arm machine?

When my machine was delivered, the lady told me that she only used Perma Core thread on her quilts. But, she brought me some small samples of some other kinds of threads that came with my machine. I want to use quality thread. And, I'd like it to be reasonably priced. What kind of thread do you use and what kind of results do you get with it? Where do you purchase it?
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Blog Entries
    99.9% of the time, I use 100% cotton. I've tried a few brands but my machine loves King Tut. I try to buy it on sale. I've used a poly once but really didn't care for how it looked in the quilt. I can't remember the brand.

Blog Entries
    i use alot of machine quilting thread from Connecting Threads- they have a good selection, good prices & after years of struggling with breaking thread & tension issues i found my machine likes their thread quite well. you will find that long arm machines like polyester thread- cotton breaks easily- the machines are (highspeed) and poly is a stronger thread. Superior Threads has a nice selection of long-arm machine quilting thread too. I've also had good luck with cones of maxilock thread. I like Aurafil Thread- which i buy from Fabric.com sometimes...there are many threads to check out/try- and all machines have their own (personalities) and behave differently.
    Superior Threads is a great resource---they have free charts you can print off telling you the properties/uses of all the different threads and the needles/sizes/uses. a good place to check out for lots of free information
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I use Bottom Line and Sew Fine, and have used embroidery thread.My machine hated King Tut. Go figure since I have a BEAUTIFUL cone of variegated that I wanted to use. sigh

Blog Entries
    Some of these, I have never heard of. I don't have access to thread close by so I have to order it. It is good to know these things. Maybe I'll find one that my machine likes.

I have an APQS machine and my machine really likes the Connecting Threads cotton. I just ordered some Connecting Threads Poly to try. I also regularly use both cotton and poly of the Gutterman thread.

When I bought my Voyager they said to use King Tut so that's all I've ever used. The prewound bobbins are called super bobs and I'm not sure if they are made by King tut or not. Someday I'll get brave and expierment with other threads but for now I'm sticking with what I know works.

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    i have a bottom of the line singer that i purhased for $70 on ebay. she hums like a charm. and takes anythread i put in her. i however, prefer a 100% cotton thread. i dont like all the fuss you get around the needle w/the cheaper threads.

I use Superior threads So Fine in the top, and Bottom Line in the bobbin...although not ALL the time. I play with Connecting Threads (Gammill doesn't like it much...), have tried Glide, and I personally really like King Tut. I've tried the pre-filled and also the magnetic core bobbins; both work equally well in my machine. Don't care for Aurifil, altho lots of you all love it...guess I would too, if my machine liked it. Hope that helped...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I have an Innova, and neither of us is a thread snob, LOL. I have used the Metro Embroidery thread (very inexpensive, lots of colors, has a nice sheen), Connecting Threads cotton and poly, and several others. I just can't bring myself to spend $18 or so for a cone of thread!

Blog Entries
    I recently got a Voyager. So far it likes King Tut and Signature threads just fine. I tried Connecting Threads Essential Pro polyester thread, but it is just slightly too weak for my machine and breaks occasionally (it is a 70wt poly, so very fine). The previous owner of my machine said that Aurifil 50wt 2-ply (which I *love* for piecing!) breaks in my machine, but Aurifil 40wt works fine.

A lot of longarmers like King Tut on top and Bottom Line poly in the bobbin, so I will try that combo next. The Bottom Line is a 60wt poly and probably just enough stronger than the Essential Pro to work for me. An advantage of using poly in the bobbin is that the bobbin will hold more thread, so you don't have to stop to change the bobbin as often. Also, the thread disappears more into the fabric so is less obvious. If Bottom Line works in the bobbin, I will try it as the top thread also as I often like a very unobtrusive thread for my quilting. A third advantage of using poly in the bobbin is that it creates less lint to clean out.

The best prices I have found online for King Tut, Signature and Bottom Line threads is this website:
    http://www.machinequiltingconnection...=index&cPath=2

I use Permacore and Omni the most. I also have King Tut, Superior silk, some Valdani (its pretty heavy..and I used it most on my short arm system.) and So Fine. There is even some Signature and Star threads hanging around. my machine seems to like it all...
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    thanks for all the helpful answers. I'm going to be trying out some of these brands cause my machine doesn't seem to like this thread very well.

I used to only use King Tut and So Fine, but then my nolting dealer turned me on to Glide thread. This stuff is amazing! It is just made for the longarm. I love the stitches, it seems to make perfect stitches and sits on the quilt top with just the right amount of "sink" into the top. I've had zero tension issues with it, using so fine in the bobbin. And compared to the King Tut, it is really inexpensive. The website is http://www.bobbincentral.com/. They have several starter sets, including one recommended by Kimmy Brunner. On the cone, it appears to be very shiny, but it quilts up differently, with just a slight amount of shine, highly recommended!

Blog Entries
    I use Maxi-lock serger thread, top and bobbin with my Voyager 17. Have tried both CT cotten and Aurifl, but have a lot of trouble with it breaking. BABY CATCHERs dealer told her to use King Tut, my dealer said to stay away from it, so go figure

Love Superior bottom line , so fine and king tut! Use connecting thread also. Guess just depends on the quilt! My machine does not seem to be a thread snob!

Blog Entries
    I use only Signature thread because if has little lint, is strong and is not expensive. I buy it from Heartbeat Quilting' It is 100 % cotton and is $7.00 for a 3000 yd. cone. Colors are good but you do need to buy the real thread color chart to have any idea of what you are ordering.

Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
    When my machine was delivered, the lady told me that she only used Perma Core thread on her quilts. But, she brought me some small samples of some other kinds of threads that came with my machine. I want to use quality thread. And, I'd like it to be reasonably priced. What kind of thread do you use and what kind of results do you get with it? Where do you purchase it?

My thread of choice is also Glide. A trilobal poly that just seems to look great on everything I use it for. I love it and their magnetic core prewound bobbins. I also have an Innova and it has been a champ with any thread I have thrown at it. I was not crazy about connecting threads LA thread. When that cone was gone I rejoiced. I still have a bunch of their cotton stuff that I use but again, when it is gone, I will not reorder it for LA. It is nice for machine applique though on my Bernina and hand sewing bindings. But it is very linty.
    I have used numerous threads from Superior and they all perform well but some are fussy about tension settings so take advantage of Superior's sheets that give recommended tensions. Isocord polyester embroidery thread is very nice for LA quilting too. Before discovering Glide I used that quite a bit. YLI makes a very nice cotton LA thread.
    All of my thread for LA quilting I get on line or at quilt shows.

I'm in the same boat as Solomae & feline fanatic. I have the Queen Quilter18 (Tin Lizzie) & she's not a thread snob, but just absolutely loves Glide! I use the magna-glide pre-wound bobbins as well. The price is great! Most large cones are $7.20 each. I love the little bit of sheen to it too. I've used Permacore, YLI & King Tut, but I keep coming back to the Glide. I just don't have any issues with it, tension is always good, both top & bottom.

I use everything..may have to adjust the top tension from time to time but I ust it all..
    Diana Swihart
    Tranquil Quilting-MI

I am not a thread snob and so far my Bailey (as well as the shortarm before I got the Bailey) has been very accepting of different threads. I did learn the hard way that rayon is NOT good for LA quilting...better used for embroidery, though. Superior Threads is a great source of information.

Blog Entries
    I have a Viking Mega Quilter 18/8 and it does not like Aurafil one bit. It does love Guttermann, and YLI. I only use cotton thread on mine, haven't tried any poly as of yet. But one day I was doing a quilt that needed a neutral thread, which I did not have. I put some of that thread that WalMart carries, on the larger cones, and it liked it. Go figure.

Thanks for the site for Glide thread. I know Mark Sherman uses it too and his quilts are beautiful. Think I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Solomae View Post
    I used to only use King Tut and So Fine, but then my nolting dealer turned me on to Glide thread. This stuff is amazing! It is just made for the longarm. I love the stitches, it seems to make perfect stitches and sits on the quilt top with just the right amount of "sink" into the top. I've had zero tension issues with it, using so fine in the bobbin. And compared to the King Tut, it is really inexpensive. The website is http://www.bobbincentral.com/. They have several starter sets, including one recommended by Kimmy Brunner. On the cone, it appears to be very shiny, but it quilts up differently, with just a slight amount of shine, highly recommended!

Blog Entries
    Haven't had any problems with top thread but my machine can be a little touchy if it doesn't like the bobbin thread. I usually use brother on the blue spool. Last time I had a voucher I stocked up.

I use mostly Superior Threads. I use most of their lines. (Sew Fine, Rainbow, King Tut, etc) I use thread as another embellishment and to enhance the design of the quilt and the quilting.

https://www.superiorthreads.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast