Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of thread do you use on your long arm machine? >

What kind of thread do you use on your long arm machine?

What kind of thread do you use on your long arm machine?

Old 12-24-2012, 05:24 AM

I'm new to longarming. I have a Tin Lizzie sit down. I've been using Maxilock serger thread to practice. It likes it in the top, but not in the bobbin. It just breaks in the bobbin. I just quilted 3 quilts this past weekend using regular Connecting Threads thread. I'm having tension issues but that's another story unto itself. Two quilts worked up nicely, one did not.
I would like to try the Glide thread. I'm bummed that they have a $35 minimum. That's a lot of thread to be stuck with if your machine doesn't like it... I'll call the company to see if it is sold in stores so I can try out one spool of it before committing to a bunch of it.

I'm tempted to try the Bobbin Genies. I'm not sure if that will help with my bobbin tension or not... at this point, something has to give!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:33 PM

My Voyager loves King Tut, Signature, Connecting Threads cotton (loads of colors), and SewFine mostly in the bobbin because its thinner and you can get more on the bobbin. Quality threads pays off with fewer tension problems.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:36 PM

Serger thread is not usually long staple cotton. It often gives tension problems and breaks more easy than long staple cotton. Try King Tut on top and SewFine in the bobbin.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM

This is some great info! I am trying out the Bottom Line in the top and bobbin on a quilt soon with my Janome MC 6500. Will let ya'll know how it goes
Old 01-21-2013, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
I'm new to longarming. I have a Tin Lizzie sit down. I've been using Maxilock serger thread to practice. It likes it in the top, but not in the bobbin. It just breaks in the bobbin. I just quilted 3 quilts this past weekend using regular Connecting Threads thread. I'm having tension issues but that's another story unto itself. Two quilts worked up nicely, one did not.
I would like to try the Glide thread. I'm bummed that they have a $35 minimum. That's a lot of thread to be stuck with if your machine doesn't like it... I'll call the company to see if it is sold in stores so I can try out one spool of it before committing to a bunch of it.

I'm tempted to try the Bobbin Genies. I'm not sure if that will help with my bobbin tension or not... at this point, something has to give!
I was using Connecting Threads cotton alot on my long arm. Most of it worked wonderful--but a couple colors kept breaking threads--maybe had somehting to do with the dye in it? as they were dark colors. A month ago I decided to order the Essential Polyestor thread from Connecting Threads. I have used 4 different colors already on a few quilts and my APQS long arm likes that thread. It does not break and I have had no tension problems with it either. I also like Gutterman thread in both the Cotton and the Polyestor. I have also used that alot. I just bought a Medeira premium Serger thread which my LQS store says they use all the time on their long arm. I have not tried it yet but am anxious to try it to see if my machines likes it. It is available in all colors at my LQS (1/2 hr. away), and is not so expensive, and I would have easy access to any colors I need--so hopefully it will work fine on my APQS. The LQS uses in on their Babylock Crown Jewel long arm.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 PM

I have an HQ Avante -- they recommend the Superior thread. My machine does not LIKE Superior Thread!!! To use it involves lots of lint and constant tweeking of the tension. I use MetroEmb thread or Sigma Thread --- both are cheaper, BEAUTIFUL, with a sheen. I get them at www.MetroEmb.com