Old 01-21-2013, 07:05 PM
aborning

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
I'm new to longarming. I have a Tin Lizzie sit down. I've been using Maxilock serger thread to practice. It likes it in the top, but not in the bobbin. It just breaks in the bobbin. I just quilted 3 quilts this past weekend using regular Connecting Threads thread. I'm having tension issues but that's another story unto itself. Two quilts worked up nicely, one did not.
I would like to try the Glide thread. I'm bummed that they have a $35 minimum. That's a lot of thread to be stuck with if your machine doesn't like it... I'll call the company to see if it is sold in stores so I can try out one spool of it before committing to a bunch of it.

I'm tempted to try the Bobbin Genies. I'm not sure if that will help with my bobbin tension or not... at this point, something has to give!
I was using Connecting Threads cotton alot on my long arm. Most of it worked wonderful--but a couple colors kept breaking threads--maybe had somehting to do with the dye in it? as they were dark colors. A month ago I decided to order the Essential Polyestor thread from Connecting Threads. I have used 4 different colors already on a few quilts and my APQS long arm likes that thread. It does not break and I have had no tension problems with it either. I also like Gutterman thread in both the Cotton and the Polyestor. I have also used that alot. I just bought a Medeira premium Serger thread which my LQS store says they use all the time on their long arm. I have not tried it yet but am anxious to try it to see if my machines likes it. It is available in all colors at my LQS (1/2 hr. away), and is not so expensive, and I would have easy access to any colors I need--so hopefully it will work fine on my APQS. The LQS uses in on their Babylock Crown Jewel long arm.