Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What kind of thread do you use on your long arm machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-kind-thread-do-you-use-your-long-arm-machine-t208980.html)

#1piecemaker 12-21-2012 04:22 PM

What kind of thread do you use on your long arm machine?

When my machine was delivered, the lady told me that she only used Perma Core thread on her quilts. But, she brought me some small samples of some other kinds of threads that came with my machine. I want to use quality thread. And, I'd like it to be reasonably priced. What kind of thread do you use and what kind of results do you get with it? Where do you purchase it?

LuvQuiltin 12-21-2012 04:29 PM

99.9% of the time, I use 100% cotton. I've tried a few brands but my machine loves King Tut. I try to buy it on sale. I've used a poly once but really didn't care for how it looked in the quilt. I can't remember the brand.

ckcowl 12-21-2012 04:30 PM

i use alot of machine quilting thread from Connecting Threads- they have a good selection, good prices & after years of struggling with breaking thread & tension issues i found my machine likes their thread quite well. you will find that long arm machines like polyester thread- cotton breaks easily- the machines are (highspeed) and poly is a stronger thread. Superior Threads has a nice selection of long-arm machine quilting thread too. I've also had good luck with cones of maxilock thread. I like Aurafil Thread- which i buy from Fabric.com sometimes...there are many threads to check out/try- and all machines have their own (personalities) and behave differently.
Superior Threads is a great resource---they have free charts you can print off telling you the properties/uses of all the different threads and the needles/sizes/uses. a good place to check out for lots of free information

Toni C 12-21-2012 05:17 PM

I use Bottom Line and Sew Fine, and have used embroidery thread.My machine hated King Tut. Go figure since I have a BEAUTIFUL cone of variegated that I wanted to use. sigh

#1piecemaker 12-21-2012 05:42 PM

Some of these, I have never heard of. I don't have access to thread close by so I have to order it. It is good to know these things. Maybe I'll find one that my machine likes.

aborning 12-21-2012 06:07 PM

I have an APQS machine and my machine really likes the Connecting Threads cotton. I just ordered some Connecting Threads Poly to try. I also regularly use both cotton and poly of the Gutterman thread.

Baby Catcher 12-21-2012 06:12 PM

When I bought my Voyager they said to use King Tut so that's all I've ever used. The prewound bobbins are called super bobs and I'm not sure if they are made by King tut or not. Someday I'll get brave and expierment with other threads but for now I'm sticking with what I know works.

ro 12-21-2012 06:17 PM

i have a bottom of the line singer that i purhased for $70 on ebay. she hums like a charm. and takes anythread i put in her. i however, prefer a 100% cotton thread. i dont like all the fuss you get around the needle w/the cheaper threads.

momto5 12-21-2012 06:38 PM

I use Superior threads So Fine in the top, and Bottom Line in the bobbin...although not ALL the time. I play with Connecting Threads (Gammill doesn't like it much...), have tried Glide, and I personally really like King Tut. I've tried the pre-filled and also the magnetic core bobbins; both work equally well in my machine. Don't care for Aurifil, altho lots of you all love it...guess I would too, if my machine liked it. Hope that helped...

dunster 12-21-2012 07:51 PM

I have an Innova, and neither of us is a thread snob, LOL. I have used the Metro Embroidery thread (very inexpensive, lots of colors, has a nice sheen), Connecting Threads cotton and poly, and several others. I just can't bring myself to spend $18 or so for a cone of thread!