Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help and suggestions with quilting a " huge"Bargello >

Help and suggestions with quilting a " huge"Bargello

Help and suggestions with quilting a " huge"Bargello

Old 03-06-2014, 01:17 AM

Default Help and suggestions with quilting a " huge"Bargello

Hi, I would really appreciate any help with how best to quilt this monster that I'm halfway through making. As you can see, I have only completed the top half, the bottom being a mirror image of the top. That makes 4 panels; each one measuring approximately 34''x49''.Having it done professionally is not an option for me , so I was thinking of QAYG with each panel and then adding a border. Has anyone done this? Would it work? I'm OK doing FM, but don't like doing SID .Thank you for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails dscn0958.jpg   dscn0959.jpg  
Old 03-06-2014, 03:06 AM
Power Poster

a wavy pattern across the quilt would work well- hold it all together without detracting from the pattern. I do lots of bargello's (my favorite pattern) waves seem to generally work really well with them. or something 'loopy'. any 'curvy' pattern you like. and yes, you can quilt it in sections then put your sections together.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

I would save one stipe/strip of the pattern to use as the top joining strip. It would definately work to quilt it in sections. Leave extra batt between the sections and trim after quilting (to go under the joining strip) attach the sections together with the joining strip and use batting tape to join the batting. You can add strips to close the back or leave extra backing fabric and hand stitch the joins.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections, gives several different options for quilting in sections and gives examples of when to use each method. It was very helpful to me.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 AM

I agree that quilting in sections would work well. That is an exquisite bargello, and I can't wait to see the finished quilt! TFS
Old 03-06-2014, 07:20 AM

I've seen one that had overall meandering feathers...it took away from the Bargello!! I'd say some simple.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:22 AM

I've only made 2 bargellos, and both of them I quilted in lines that followed the lines of the bargello pattern. So I basically picked a color and followed it up and down across the quilt. I matched the thread to the color(s) I stitched on to keep the quilting as low-key as possible.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:20 AM

Hi...the picture here is of a quilt i made my mom...it is composed of 9 separate sections - each one quilted separately, then assembled so that the front is "solid" and the "quilt as you go" strips hiding the seams are on the back. [ATTACH=CONFIG]465965[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails moms-quilt.jpg  
Old 03-06-2014, 11:26 AM

PenniF What a lovely quilt, especially with the pillow covers. Your mother must love it. Joyce in DE
Old 03-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

I have made dozens of bargello. I have always matched the thread with the color of the fabric and stitch in the direction of the "flame" from corner to corner. If your strips are 2" finished, I would stitch every row but you can stitch every other row and always add more stitching. You do NOT want the quilting to compete with the beauty of the piecing of your top. The piecing should be the star and that is where the eye should be focused on.
Attached Thumbnails bargello-xmas-table-runner-top-2.jpg