Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP - Thread breaking >

HELP - Thread breaking

HELP - Thread breaking

Old 03-09-2010, 01:19 PM

I am so frustrated! I have a Janome Memory Craft 4000 that I have been using for a long time. I have not done much FMQ but am getting lots of practice on the little kitty quilts for the shelter. I found some machine quilting thread while cleaning out sewing room, new within the last year, and thought I would use it on these little quilts. It's awful! It keeps breaking, shredding and skipping. I did not have the problem with the Gutterman but this was a little less expensive so I figured I would use it up. Maybe I'm getting what I paid for. It is Coats & Clark 100% Mercerized Cotton Size #50. Other than the brand, it is the same as the Gutterman. I've changed the needle, cleaned the bobbin chamber, threaded, rethreaded and basically covered all the bases. I have read that others have had problems with certain threads on certain machines so I have come to you first. I do have thread from Connecting Threads I could use. I'm just spending way too much time on this batch of kitty quilts because of this stupid problem. Can anyone spare some advice? I'd really appeciate it. Thanks in advance.
Wendy B
Old 03-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

maybe it is the size of your needle. if the hole is too small it will cause drag on the thread and cause breakage. otherwise i'm not sure.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:55 PM

Take the needle out of the machine. Run the thread through the needle and see if when you hold one end of the thread in each hand, if the needle will slide back and forth on the thread. If not, the needle is too small for the thread.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:55 PM

I use that kind of C&C and don't have any problems with it. I've been using it a while now for piecing and FM. But then I've heard different machines like different thread.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:58 PM

Thanks. I am using a 14 which should be OK but just in case used both an 11 and 16. Still had a problem. I know others have had problems with Coats & Clark and maybe they would be fine for piecing or general sewing, just not with the speed of FMQ. I grew up sewing with their thread but I know nothing, for the most part, is as good as it was in the past. I think I'm just going to go back to the Gutterman which I have done all the other ones with or try the Connecting Threads. Most people have had great luck with them. I appreciate your reply.
Wendy B
Old 03-09-2010, 03:44 PM

I like the C&C mercerized cotton, I've never had a problem with it. Glad my machine has less expensive tastes. ;) Sounds like your machine only likes the Gutterman.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:52 PM

Could the thread be old? Even if the thread is a new purchase it could be old thread. Wrap it around you finger and pull, if it breaks easy you will know it's old.
Another thing, sometimes storing it in the freezer helps put moisture in the thread. OR try needle lube, run a line down the spool of thread several times around.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 PM

Some machines just like some threads better than others...the thread may be old too...Coats and Clark have really improved their threads and I havent had any problems with them
Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 PM

could it be the thread is too heavy shouldn't be 40?? also maybe the tension is too tight for the size of thread
mema
Old 03-09-2010, 08:50 PM

Could it possibly be just this one spool of thread? I had a new spool recently and it gave me fits. Went & picked up another spool & had no issues at all. Coats & Clark was the brand and I have a Bernina. I have used this brand for years with no trouble. I do prefer Essential from Connecting Threads though.