Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Tiara quilting machine >

Help with Tiara quilting machine

Help with Tiara quilting machine

Old 12-20-2016, 08:49 PM

Unhappy Help with Tiara quilting machine

I bought a Tiara quilting machine from a friend in our quilting club. She had not used it in the 2 yrs. she had it. She bought it new. After setting it up here at home, I took lessons at the nearby shop and started playing on it, trying the
rulers, etc. My bobbin ran out and I put one of hers in. She gave me about 10. This machine includes the bobbin winder and the stitch regulator. I have spent about 8 hours on and off trying to get the tension right. I changed the thread 3 times, I even got new thread and did new bobbins. It is nesting on the bottom so I know it is the top tension. Then I tighten it and then it breaks all the time. I have changed needles also. I know the warranty is no good because it was only for the original owner. I have no idea what the local shop charges. I continually adjust the top tension and then I looked online and tried to have the bobbin pull about 4" down like a spider from the web. So I think I got the bobbin okay. I have tried both cotton thread and poly thread. The owner told me that it takes poly thread. Is it true I need the tall spool of long arm thread? What the local shop has is Medira and in the classes it was very linty, balls would lay on the top of the machine. I thought the thread was awful linty. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:06 PM

I have a Gammil but polyester and cotton blend and polyester works well.
""Floss"" your thread through the tension disk......check that the needle is inserted "pregnant" side out and centered if you don't have a flat side to the needle. My machine uses commercial grade needles and they are all round. Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:16 PM

Yes, I made sure the thread was flossed into the discs. I have my regular machines which I love my old Penney's and my other is White. I can sew a mile a minute on drapes, jeans and quilt patches. Since I have at least 40 quilt tops to have quilted, I thought I could learn the quilting machine. I cannot stand long because of a disc problem in my lower back so that is why I bought the sit down version. I was okay with the large 16" sq. fabric sandwich I did. My ruler work was good and I could quilt my name good too. But then the bobbin ran out. I am just sick. I better not complain to my husband. Oh, well, I will have to make him another banana supreme cake.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:20 PM

The needle is the one that has the groove down the front and I have that in right. I guess I could put another one in. She only has 2 packs of needles but they are all size 10. It has a large eye, though, and easy to thread. I do hate how I have to put the bobbin in. Not enough area for my hand. I have to use my left hand to put it in and my right hand to take it out. Almost have to crawl under the machine to do it. I guess I am choosy. Getting old is for the birds I hope. haha
Old 12-20-2016, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
I continually adjust the top tension and then I looked online and tried to have the bobbin pull about 4" down like a spider from the web.
I think your bobbin tension is too loose. I have the Sweet Sixteen which I understand is very similar to the Tiara. In the class I took the instructor told us you should be able to lift the bobbin with the thread but the bobbin shouldn't drop. Maybe you could ask at the shop where you took the lessons.

Also, the needles I use are size 16. That's what size came with the machine and I haven't had any problems with them.

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 12-20-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:52 PM
Power Poster

Go online with handiquilter and look at their tutorials. The Tiara is a kissing cousin to the Sweet 16 and there is a lot of good information on their website.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

I have a Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter and discover that the bobbin has to go in a certain way--thread over the back--or mine would break needles and threads and kinds of horrible things. Hope you figure it out.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:28 AM

Don't know if this would be of any help, but have you checked the timing? I have a Voyager 17 that after I had done everything I could think of, called the dealer and that was his suggestion. And that worked.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

This is how I set the tension on my machine. It's on a frame, but it should also work for a sit down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
Old 12-21-2016, 08:15 AM

I have a Sweet 16 too. Double check that you've threaded your machine correctly. I've found its easy to miss the take up lever or something else, apparently obvious, but totally missable. Also make sure your bobbin is inserted in the bobbin case correctly, so that when you pull out the thread, with the bobbin facing you, the bobbin rotates clockwise. Check your bobbin area to make sure there isn't a stray piece of broken thread stuck in the bobbin race area. If there is, using the hand wheel, you can slowly rotate it while hanging onto the stuck thread and it should pull free at some point in the rotation so you don't break the thread a leave any behind. If you are not using coned thread, but spools that are not cross wound, your thread needs to be on a horizontal spool holder so it comes off the spool straight. This problem you're having is fairly common and I don't think serious, but a simple fix. Good luck! Let us know when you figure it out.
Kathy