Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help. Ugly first quilt >

Help. Ugly first quilt

Help. Ugly first quilt

Old 09-28-2010, 05:02 AM

My motto is: anything started is half done. This is your start to a world of quilting. I do these blocks all the time and do not consider them ugly,yours or mine. 4 Square blocks are like old friends, they age but they don't change and someday you will look at this quilt and say, well done, my very first and give it a hug.
Get on with it, dark blue would be my choice.

Carol J.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:13 AM

I love the colors and the four patch blocks are so classic. I like the blue sashing the best. You might try to put the blocks on point for some drama. On point adds such visual interest and always makes things look much more difficult than they really are. It will be an amazing quilt no matter what you do.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:22 AM

I like the blue with the white cornerstones. I think the white background in the squares 'bleeds' into the white sashing.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:25 AM

Sash it with the white,then border with some blues or vice versa
Old 09-28-2010, 05:28 AM

I agree with others that there is no such thing as an ugly qult. The blue would be great but whatever you use will be fine. This is your quilt and you do what you want to do with it and you will be surprised ant the end result. I recently did a baby quilt in blue and yellow and ended up putting yellow sashing between the rows and blue on the outside. It was gorgeous. Unfortunately I did not take a picture.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:31 AM

It is not an ugly quilt! I prefer the white sashing...looks fresh to me. I made a blue and yellow quilt too and used white for the background. It was blue and yellow appliqued 'rag' flowers on white...it hangs on the wall in my spare bedroom and just sets off the room for guests!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:39 AM

It's not ugly.

Try some neutral colors to bring out the blues and the yellows. Go to a fabric store and lay out the squares on bolts of cloth until something pleases you.

Try putting the patches also in another formation. I know for myself I don't like the non uniform look. For me I'd probably be putting the yellow and glowy ones in middle, sash it and then surround with blue? Or do something in a pattern. Rearrange till it suits you

Or you could try instead of neutral or complementing colors, try contrasting ones.

Blue and yellow are contrasting, if blue isn't working, try yellow or even heck try purple. You could try batiks as well.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:41 AM

I would gowith the blue. If you still don't like it then
donate it to an organization that gives ugly quilts as they
call them to the homeless and shelters.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:44 AM

white
Old 09-28-2010, 05:51 AM

I agree with everyone else. Both colors look great. And the colors in the squares could go with just about any background, not only blue or white. Since you're unhappy with both choices, maybe you should look at the room you want to put it in, and see what color feels best. light or dark, and go with that?

I thought my first quilt was ugly too, but I think it's because I struggled with it so much and really wanted it to turn out like the ones my friends made, with many years of experience under their belt.

I struggle with making color/pattern choices, and find that taking a black and white photo of the material samples helps me choose and organize it in my brain. I also take a picture of each quilt I finish, only 5 so far, and it helps me see what great strides I'm making.

And yes, I still think my first quilt was ugly, so I gave it to a local mission and I like to think that someone less fortunate than I loves it.