Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help using a stencil >

help using a stencil

help using a stencil

Old 12-31-2016, 01:10 PM

I have used the Crayola washable markers for some time now and have never had a problem! The marker color washes out every time! They work great! I have had a hard time finding one that will show up on some darker fabric, like black or dark blue. They work so well I haven't wanted to try anything else, except something that will show up on the darker fabrics! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 12-31-2016, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Too often, I have found that chalk marks disappear, on larger quilts, because of the movement. And then I need to re-do them part way through. Or just mark a section at a time. Thus I am always looking for a new possibility.

Yes, they stay put very well, as long as you need them to. I just wash my quilts when done, and all the marks come right out. Rubbing with a damp rag removes them too. In all my quilting years, its the best white marker I've found.

I have heard of these Clover markers/pens and the patience required to "see" their marks!

Do their marks stay "put", as you work with the quilt?
How do you remove those marks, once done?
Yes, they stay put very well, as long as you need them to. I just wash my quilts when done, and all the marks come right out. Rubbing with a damp rag removes them too. In all my quilting years, its the best white marker I've found
Old 12-31-2016, 02:52 PM

i use the fine tip crayola washable markers with my stencils - and like someone else said be sure you are working on a hard surface
Old 12-31-2016, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by popover View Post
Yes, they stay put very well, as long as you need them to. I just wash my quilts when done, and all the marks come right out. Rubbing with a damp rag removes them too. In all my quilting years, its the best white marker I've found
And if you want the marks to disappear right away, then you can iron them away...
Old 12-31-2016, 03:13 PM
Banned

I don't like to iron them, since I usually have the crayola markers close to the white, and heat can set some of the colors.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:10 PM

I'm a frixion pen user. Works for everything I have ever done. I do admit that i rarely use black, and I do use Fons and Porter white pencil, but still like the frixion better if they had a color to show up on black. I will mark before i sandwich the quilt.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:05 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies. I think I need to get some Crayola markers and see how that goes. And, want to check out the Bohin pencil too.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:35 AM

I use 2 pencil markers, one is green and white that has white lead. The other is red and has dark lead, I know instantly which one I need to grab!!
Old 01-01-2017, 08:13 AM

When I hand quilt, I use washable markers of all colors. My quilts are easy to hand quilt, plus the markers wash out during the first washing!
Old 01-01-2017, 10:30 AM

On fabrics that are dark enough, I use pounce. On light fabrics, I use a mechanical pencil. When using the pencil's, I find it better to make several 'soft handed' marks, than to try and get it with one pass, as pushing too hard breaks the lead.

Sometimes, I find it necessary to remark the pounce, if it is a long pattern and gets rubbed off while quilting. I hand quilt so have learned to quilt in the areas where my hand will rest first, so as not to rub the marking off as often.