Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help using a stencil >

help using a stencil

help using a stencil

Old 12-30-2016, 08:13 PM

Default help using a stencil

I am trying to use a stencil to mark my quilt top for hand quilting and not having much success. The problem I am encountering is whatever I use to trace the design w/gets broken. For example today I tried using a piece of sharpened chalk and the point got snapped off before I even got started. The little space is so tight it either breaks or dulls out my marking tool. I tried using a pounce thing, but it won't show up on the fabric I am trying to mark (it's multicolored). The stencil is one of those plastic type like these http://quiltingstencils.com/plastic-...es/2-2-5-inch/

I hope someone understands what I am saying and can help me out. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:31 PM

Never mind I think I found a few things to try, thanks google, lol!
Old 12-30-2016, 09:15 PM

Have you tried Crayola washable markers? Or the blue fabric markers that wash out?
Old 12-30-2016, 10:36 PM

First of all, make sure you are marking on a hard surface. I use either the Sewline or the Bohin mechanical marking pencil with a stencil. Chalk doesn't work for me.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:14 AM
Banned

I hand quilt, use a LOT of stencils. Get the Crayola Ultra Clean markers with the fine point. I mark mine in the frame with no hard surface under it
Old 12-31-2016, 03:50 AM

since I discovered the crayola markers that's all I use.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:40 AM

Another hand quilter, stencil user here. I agree marking on a hard surface is much easier. Also usually easier done prior to sandwiching but mostly I mark afterwards. I find the Bohin mechanical pencils or a regular mechanical pencil far easier to use for marking. I don't have much luck getting tailor's chalk markers in the stencils. Roxanne pencil points break while looking at them (at least for me, lol). I've never mastered the pounce marker either.

If you have a LQS nearby, I would highly recommend racing out to get the Bohin pencil and as many color leads as they have. I only have white at this point but plan to purchase the other colors next time I'm at the shop somewhat near to me that carries them.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:09 AM

I use a Fons and Porter mechanical pencil. The dark lead works good but the white lead doesn't show up. I bought pieces of white chalk and use that now for dark material. I am going to look into the Crayola markers. That sounds like a winner.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:03 AM
Banned

When I need white for marking black, I use the Clover white pen. You don't see the lines at first, but wait a minute and they show up very nicely.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by popover View Post
When I need white for marking black, I use the Clover white pen. You don't see the lines at first, but wait a minute and they show up very nicely.

Too often, I have found that chalk marks disappear, on larger quilts, because of the movement. And then I need to re-do them part way through. Or just mark a section at a time. Thus I am always looking for a new possibility.

I have heard of these Clover markers/pens and the patience required to "see" their marks!

Do their marks stay "put", as you work with the quilt?
How do you remove those marks, once done?