Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with vintage machines? >

help with vintage machines?

help with vintage machines?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:18 AM

Help! I decided to buy a vintage machine to have a bigger throat space instead of spending $1000 on a new one. so can anyone tell me if these are good machines and if they are worth the price? I found them on craigslist:

this one is a Kenmore Ultra-Stitch 6 Model# 13401 and she is asking $25
http://charleston.craigslist.org/hsh/2464307647.html

price includes the table and directions

this on is listed as an Antique Singer model #AJ436211
http://charleston.craigslist.org/atq/2513785526.html
she's asking $75 for this one and it has the table and parts

I looked at a vintage singer in the cabinet that had the "fashion discs" for different stitches but they didnt' have the discs or the darning plate and said they would take $50 but i passed since i wasnt sure if i could find the parts.

so what do you all think? was it stupid i passed on the singer? what do you think about these other 2? does it look like i could quilt a twin quilt on either of these?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:31 AM

Go for the Singer...you weren't stupid to pass on the $50 Singer, but you'll love that black one for quilting and piecing!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 AM

The AJ prefix Singer from 1950 will be a joy to use. You were correct to pass up the one with the missing discs.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:40 AM

oh i'm so glad to hear it wasn't a dumb move to pass on the one with the missing discs. i was worried i was making a stupid decision. i just don't want to end up with something else i can't use LOL. Should I offer her $50 for the old black one?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
oh i'm so glad to hear it wasn't a dumb move to pass on the one with the missing discs. i was worried i was making a stupid decision. i just don't want to end up with something else i can't use LOL. Should I offer her $50 for the old black one?
Yep! :) But be prepared for her to say "no"...decide now if you want to spend the $75 if she does. Most people post an elevated price so that they can negotiate, but some don't. Can't hurt to try!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Help!

his on is listed as an Antique Singer model #AJ436211

so what do you all think?
This looks like a singer 201 from 1950 which is a wonderful machine. I am just not sure about quilting on it. It has the biggest opening, a couple of extra inches, but for some reason it is not considered as desirable for quilting by some. The singer 15-91 is supposed to be the best for quilting. Oh $75 is a steal I think. Let us know if you get it.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Help!

This looks like a singer 201 which is a wonderful machine. I am just not sure about quilting on it. It has the biggest opening, a couple of extra inches, but for some reason it is not considered as desirable for quilting by some. The singer 15-91 is supposed to be the best for quilting.
:) The dogs drop, and it honestly is just as good as the 15-91...I use both of mine!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Charlee! I have both but have not played with the 201 direct drive yet. I do have a 201 in treadle and love that machine. Do you remember why some people do not like using the 201 for quilting? I know I like the extra troath space and hope to quilt on it.

Originally Posted by Charlee
Help!

This looks like a singer 201 which is a wonderful machine. I am just not sure about quilting on it. It has the biggest opening, a couple of extra inches, but for some reason it is not considered as desirable for quilting by some. The singer 15-91 is supposed to be the best for quilting.
:) The dogs drop, and it honestly is just as good as the 15-91...I use both of mine!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:54 AM

Thanks Charlee! I have both but have not played with the 201 direct drive yet. I do have a 201 in treadle and love that machine. Do you remember why some people do not like using the 201 for quilting? I know I like the extra troath space and hope to quilt on it.
No, I don't know why some people don't like the 201 for quilting...I don't recall hearing of anyone that didn't? (But then again, I miss a lot that happens...stupid job!! ;) )
Old 07-28-2011, 06:59 AM

I did the same thing... I bought a singer 15-91 instead of a $1000 new machine to quilt on. Be prepared... once the 1st one moves in others tend to follow.
I now sew almost exclusively on the Singer, and have acquired a few other vintage machines... one of which is a Kenmore - it's not a bad machine - and my daughter sews a much straighter seam on it than the Singer - but for some reason I had never even considered trying FMQ on it.

I did finish up a king size quilt on my Singer last week so there is plenty of room - and if the 201 is bigger :thumbup:

ETA-- I think I just remembered the objection to 201 vs 15-91 -- isn't the 201 belt driven rather than solid gears? seems like I remember there being concerns about over heating and not being as strong to handle the bulk... but I think it's all theory since these machines have been around for 100+ years some of them and are still chugging along and have sewed far more difficult things than a quilt sandwich