Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with vintage machines? >

help with vintage machines?

help with vintage machines?

Old 07-30-2011, 04:13 PM

If you havent already, go with the Singer, its a winner. I have a 1941 and it literally hums, it is so well tuned up and so powerful, and you can drop the feed dogs. I grew up sewing on my moms, and it brings such fond memories when I use it. :-D
Old 07-30-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
I'm still waiting to hear back about this machine from the seller but I was wondering, if I have to re-wire it is that something I could do myself or do I need to take ie somewhere? How do I find someone who does this?
My dh works on and refurbishes old Singers, and I absolutely would have a professional do it. Thats what he does. Leave the wiring to a professional. :-)
Old 07-31-2011, 06:10 AM

You will never regret getting a vintage Singer... you will only regret when you run out of room and can't find space for another one! And they are not hard to take care of yourself. I joined [email protected], an online group discussing repairing/refurbishing vintage machines and there is a wealth of information available there. But beware! These machines are highly addictive!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmaLola
You will never regret getting a vintage Singer... you will only regret when you run out of room and can't find space for another one! And they are not hard to take care of yourself. I joined [email protected], an online group discussing repairing/refurbishing vintage machines and there is a wealth of information available there. But beware! These machines are highly addictive!
TOTALLY TRUE!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:30 PM

I got it! I saw that the wiring is cracking on the back so I got it for $60 since I'll need to pay to replace that. I also noticed a little knob is missing on the front but hopefully it won't make or break the machine. it's the little knob that is by the stitch length adjuster. I dunno I can't remember what its called. but here are some pics! I have to take it apart and oil and clean and then I think I will take it to a shop to get the wiring looked at? I don't even know where to start....
Attached Thumbnails attachment-234595.jpe   attachment-234596.jpe  
Old 07-31-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by elliot
The machine you are looking at is a Singer 201. The 201 is the top of the line singer from that time. I refurbish both 201's and 15-91's and use my grandmothers 201 for quilting. $75.00 is a very good price even if it needs a little cleaning up. $50.00 would be better but $75 is good. Be sure to check the wiring behind the motor to makes sure the insulation is intact and not cracking and coming off. In my experience the one's on craigslist that are in a cabinet are usually in pretty good condition. If the wire is bare and it touches the metal machine head the whole machine can become live. I rewire motors and it is not difficult to do if you like to do things like that. But I would take the 201 in a heartbeat.

Cindy
Can you pm me and let me know how you re-wire yours? I'm interested in doing it myself if i can but i don't want to hurt myself or the machine :) The wiring behind this one is cracking (the rubber around it) and I don't want it to cause a problem. TIA!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:47 AM

I LOVE vintage Singers, just be careful, they have a way of multiplying.:) The little knob that you are missing is used to move a plate behind the stitch regulator that holds the machine at a specific stitch length until moved and re set. The repair shop can probably replace it for you.:)
Old 08-01-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign
I LOVE vintage Singers, just be careful, they have a way of multiplying.:) The little knob that you are missing is used to move a plate behind the stitch regulator that holds the machine at a specific stitch length until moved and re set. The repair shop can probably replace it for you.:)
awesome thank you! I just called a shop and I'm taking her in this afternoon to get an estimate on the re-wire. i'll let the experts do it :) yay!