Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! What color could be added >

Help! What color could be added

Help! What color could be added

Old 07-25-2016, 03:52 AM

Just love this post and all the ideas the web site offered in first reply are inspiring. I love what PaperPrincess came up with, but what I'm wondering is - if the originals are hand appliqued, wouldn't cutting in quarters jeopardize the strength of the circle? And, Bree123 - love your idea. Just look around and almost everything has some type of circle - endless!!!
Old 07-25-2016, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Just love this post and all the ideas the web site offered in first reply are inspiring. I love what PaperPrincess came up with, but what I'm wondering is - if the originals are hand appliqued, wouldn't cutting in quarters jeopardize the strength of the circle? And, Bree123 - love your idea. Just look around and almost everything has some type of circle - endless!!!
It's all machine appliqued.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:35 AM

Wow! I'm so glad I posted this; so many great ideas! My mind is in full gear now :-)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:35 AM

I would sew them together and then add rings at the intersection. Not all exactly center some more toward one side than the other and use some yellows, rusts, and deep reds in those circles. I wouldn't do a sashing but I might take all of my blue scraps and pull the blocks together with a pieced sashing of blues. I'm thinking of something like the blooming nine patch where to fabrics blend into one another.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:40 AM

I read Cindy B's comment & I thought "no, the new raw edges will be fine because they'll be enclosed in the seam." Which then made me think ... I don't think the sample that was done included any seam allowances. So I just wanted to point out the obvious: make sure if you're doing the cut-up option that you'll still have enough of the design left once you shave off 1/4" from every side.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:19 AM

What would happen if some of the cut pieces were turned outward and one or two blocks left whole and trimmed down to match the blocks that had been quartered?
Old 07-25-2016, 06:37 AM

I really like the idea by Bree123. You could really use your imagination. Add embleshments. What fun to work it out.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:58 AM

This group is the very BEST to get ideas from. I really like the cut-up photo but then the quilting can take on a life of it's own. I feel the circles 'need' something inside and give it more interest. Such creative people on here, love reading the suggestions.
Don't forget to come back with your final photo of the quilt.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:09 AM

Just my thoughts, but whatever color you chose to add, use a tone on tone color for movement and harmony? Maybe the solid circles as suggested? Maybe connect the blocks then add solid circles floating alone, and some over the rings? I would print a couple copies of the starter blocks and play with pens to get ideas? Post what you end up with.

Last edited by madamekelly; 07-25-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:21 AM

I would love to see one of the bright oranges from the blocks as sashing and as a border.