Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strip dies - or no? - for the GO Big >

Strip dies - or no? - for the GO Big

Strip dies - or no? - for the GO Big

Old 07-31-2016, 05:22 AM

Question Strip dies - or no? - for the GO Big

Back story... DH & I spent a couple of afternoons cutting up scraps into squares and triangles for scrap quilts. I set aside anything appropriate for cutting strips using my Go Big.
Next day we cut strips using rotary cutters, rulers and mats... but DH didn't like that so told me to buy the strip dies. They are pricey & it occurs to me that Cutting strips with the rotary cutter and the June Tailor strip ruler/cutter??? is easier and faster?
So... are the strip dies worth the money or do I cut the strips by my lonesome.
Methinks men like their mechanical tools cause DH sure had fun with the GO!
Old 07-31-2016, 05:28 AM

I cut strips free hand for the scrap bin. For accuracy, I love my june taylor strip cutter. But I would buy the accuquilt strip die just so I would have something fun for my husband to do while he is helping me.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

LOL This sounds like a good idea. I have the dies for just about all strips 3 inches and smaller and never use them. I much prefer my June Taylor ruler. I do like my die cutter (https://www.sizzix.com/) (Big Shot Pro) for all other shapes. some people use the strips dies the most but sometimes it is for them to cut other shapes after they cut the strips. I also have dies to cut squares and triangles and with sizzix those are in strips too with the larger dies.

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I cut strips free hand for the scrap bin. For accuracy, I love my june taylor strip cutter. But I would buy the accuquilt strip die just so I would have something fun for my husband to do while he is helping me.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 07-31-2016 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:16 AM

The strip dies are a waste to me. You can get much longer strips using the June Taylor or my favorite, Stripology by Creative Grids. Saves time when putting them together, less seams. Just MHO.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I much prefer my dies. I have used 2 different June Taylor strip rulers: the shorter one, and the one that cuts across a single fold of fabric as it comes off the bolt. The rulers often slip for me. If you already have a June Taylor ruler, or can borrow one, I would compromise. Purchase the die for the strip size you use most, use both and see which one you prefer.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:46 AM
Banned

I don't like the June Taylor strip cutter rulers. If I couldn't cut strips accurately with my regular ruler I would definitely buy the strip dies.

Cari
Old 07-31-2016, 09:19 AM

GO dies are the way to go in my opinion. I can cut a lot more faster and more accurate than using the rotary cutter. Don't know anything about the June Taylor.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:28 AM

I use the dies. It gives me strips faster and more accurately than the ruler and rotary cutter, Plus, my fibro and arthritis are less irriated using the dies.

The strips are pricey, but price is not so bad if you buy them when they are on sale for 40% off. accuquilt seems to have sales fairly often, so I just wait until they have one to buy.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

You have to prepare the strips for the Go cutter and you have to be careful how to store the die. I remember one of our members found that her die was bent and didn't cut straight strips. My Shape Cutter Pro works find when I have a lot of strips of the same fabric to cut. You might want to look into the strip cutter made by Creative Grids!
Old 07-31-2016, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Dies have sharp very thin blades and can't be stored flat with another die on top of it. The strip dies are very heavy. I store mine in a rack on their sides. I fan fold my fabric to get as long of strips as I want using the strip die. I also cut bias strips with the regular strip die. I have the Stripology ruler and June Taylor. They are okay but why have the Go and not get all the use out of it. And less dangerous then the rotary for anyone.