Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help- what oil does singer 160th anniv. Need? >

Help- what oil does singer 160th anniv. Need?

Help- what oil does singer 160th anniv. Need?

Old 06-10-2012, 04:54 AM

Default Help- what oil does singer 160th anniv. Need?

My DIL has a new singer 160th anniversary machine. It says oil often but no oil is included. How often and where do you oil it?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:01 AM

Default oiling machine

Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
My DIL has a new singer 160th anniversary machine. It says oil often but no oil is included. How often and where do you oil it?

Thanks for the help.
Does the machine come with instruction book? It usually tells you in there where to oil. Did she buy it at a regular sewing machine shop, ask there , they should know what oil to use .
Old 06-10-2012, 05:40 AM

use sewing machine oil sold at Joann or Walmart or Hancock or eBay the instruction book should tell you were to oil
Old 06-10-2012, 05:51 AM

Some of the newer machines do not require oil--ask if yours does.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I am surprised if the instruction manual for this machine says to oil often but has no instructions in how to oil. If the printed manual is not available, there should be a way to access the manual online to look this up. Most (if not all) new machines have sealed motors, unlike vintage machines, which means no oiling with the possible exception of a felt wick near the bobbin and/or the bobbin race.

The only oil to use on any sewing machine is sewing machine oil, is which a much finer grade than other oils. Brand does not matter, but it must be sewing machine oil. This is widely available in places like JoAnn's and Walmart for just a few dollars.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:03 AM

I have vintage singers and they seem to need oil frequently. Just don't over oil as that can cause problems also. Only 1 or 2 drops, then sew for awhile. Definitely speak to dealer for more specific information. Never use anything but sewing machine oil.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:26 AM

I have a Janome that is probably 10 years old. The instruction manual does not mention oil. The only place it needs oil is under the bobbin case where there is a wick. I had to find that out at the shop where I bought it. I think the manual should mention that, but what do I know. lol
Sue
Old 06-10-2012, 08:20 AM

I have the 160 and just checked the manual. It says "Put 1 drop of sewing machine oil on the hook race as indicated by the arrows (A,B)" and then has a diagram. It is on Page 50 of the manual under Caring For Your Machine. It also says "Singer brand sewing machine oil is suggested. DO NOT use "all purpose" oil as it is not suited for sewing machine lubrication".

Singer brand sm oil is available at Hancocks, JoAnne's, etc.

Since this machine is so new, I would think that it would not need oiling yet. I haven't found where it says "oil often". Your DIL might also check the Singer site to see if there are any further instructions.

Last edited by Nanamoms; 06-10-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
I have the 160 and just checked the manual. It says "Put 1 drop of sewing machine oil on the hook race as indicated by the arrows (A,B)" and then has a diagram. It is on Page 50 of the manual under Caring For Your Machine. It also says "Singer brand sewing machine oil is suggested. DO NOT use "all purpose" oil as it is not suited for sewing machine lubrication".

Singer brand sm oil is available at Hancocks, JoAnne's, etc.

Since this machine is so new, I would think that it would not need oiling yet. I haven't found where it says "oil often". Your DIL might also check the Singer site to see if there are any further instructions.
Thank you all! I bought it new on qvc but did not open the box. I will share this info and show her the book. She is new to sewing and I am new to singers!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:03 AM

I recently asked about sewing machine oil on another thread and was told it is the same thing as mineral oil.