Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Helpfull Screwdrivers for Old Hands >

Helpfull Screwdrivers for Old Hands

Helpfull Screwdrivers for Old Hands

Old 12-20-2011, 01:25 PM

Smile Helpfull Screwdrivers for Old Hands

I have a touchy sewing machine (Singer) and I have to clean it often. Several times per project. But it's really hard to get the screws out of the plate and even remove the presser foot because my hands can't seem to turn the little screwdrivers that came with the machine. (I have a bit of arthritus and a permanently fixed thumb.)The other day I found, on-line, the perfect screwdrivers. For less than $6, made by Performance Tools and sold at Amazon.com: 4pc Mini Stubby Screwdriver Set. Shipping was free and I got them in about three days. Used them immediately and they fit!! Fit my hands and fit my machine. So cute, they are fat around and about 1 inch tall each, with a little indention on the top that helps me keep it in the slot. Comes with a 3/16" and 1/4" straight blade and two phillips. I don't use the phillips but DH has all ready asked to borrow them!

Merry Christmas from Dixie, Y'all
Old 12-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

Glad you found something that will work for you. My new machine doesn't need a screw driver for the throat plate, it just pops in place. My old treadle has a cute screwdriver with a triangle handle that I think came with the machine and I like it a lot. I must admit that my hands don't want to grasp and turn tiny things so well now either. I find myself buying water bottles with the wider tops for that reason. I also love my mandolin for slicing vegetables rather than a peeling knife. It's a great feeling when you find something new that works for you!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:18 PM

I thought at first we were going to talk about beverages!

Seriously, I have the stubby screwdrviers and they do help although there is not a lot of clearance to get in and unscreww my plate. I like the ones which are held magnetically a whole lot better.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:03 PM

...And then I thought we were gonna talk about music! JK!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:05 PM

I love the "stubbies" too. Just a small word of advice... DO NOT loan them to your hubby, you'll never see them again!! Go get him a set and put them in his stocking for Christmas morning.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:42 PM

love the stubbies and have bought several sets (absolute wonderful his and hers gifts...he wants them too, AND don't overlook for your computer nerd friends... bought a set for one of my friends after loaning him one of mine... he didn't want to give it back...) from the 3.99 table at my local hardware store.... the set has flat, phillips, star and square ends in a couple of sizes, each....PS, the low 'clearance' is the reason for the stubby design....you put your finger inside the dip in the handle and then use the other hand to turn from the side...works great...

Last edited by deemail; 12-20-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:16 PM

I have the "stubbies" too and love them. Although I've found that they still aren't stubby enough get to the screws in my embroidery machine. I have to use a dime and it slips and takes twice as long to remove and replace the screw. I saw an ad on TV for an "L-shaped" mini screwdriver and the idea sounds perfect. Have looked for it locally but can't find it...oh well...didn't want to have to pay shipping to get the "As Seen on TV" one. (sigh)
Old 12-20-2011, 06:16 PM

Since any screwdrivers are difficult for me to use ... even the stubbies ... I am glad I have my Pfaffs. No need. The throat plate easily comes off for cleaning the bobbin area.

ali
Old 12-21-2011, 07:34 AM

those are wonderful screwdrivers. My DH had one and gave it to me to use with my sewing machine because the thingy that came with it was so hard to hold onto. I bought one for my sister to use as well. We both love them.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:16 AM

I have a different but even more wonderful screwdriver. Picture a flat disc, about the size of a quarter, but thick, approx. 3/8" . Imbedded in the bottom is a blade that fits into the screw. The top has an indentation to place a finger while you use the other hand to turn the "disc". This cannot slip off because it is held on with your finger. That is probably a terrible word picture. Google Morko Products. for a picture of their throat plate screwdriver.