Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Very old remedy to clean stuff off of your hands

Blog Entries

Very old remedy to clean stuff off of your hands

I want to tell you about my experience before I tell you my fix. Just so you will understand just how crazy my life can get. My mama's house has just been invested with ants for the past couple of years. We have sprayed, called Terminex, cussed, and used almost every concoction we could think of, to get rid of the little pest. We have even eaten a few of them. hahaha!! (on an accident, of course) My mother is 92 years old. She has seen a little bit of everything in her lifetime. But, nothing has worried her like these ants! They don't bite or sting except on occasions. The old folks called them little sugar ants.
    Well, I went around her house the other day looking for trails of where they were coming in at. I found several and all lead from some holes that had been knocked in the side of the tile where pipes were either going or coming out of. So, I went to the Dollar store and bought a can of that spay foam insulation. You know.... the kind that grows and fills the area it is plugging about 3 times the amount that you put in. Of course I tackled the biggest hole first. I sprayed and it came out about as fast as I put it in. So, without gloves...... I grabbed that wad of stuff and crammed it into the hole and smoothed it over. Well, it stuck to my hands like glue. I couldn't get it to come off. And, of course, who reads directions? Well, I tried water, then gasoline. Then I went to get my glasses to read the fine print and saw that I was not to use either one. It said I needed finger nail polish remover. There wasn't any in the house. None of us country girls ever painted our nails cause we always had our hands in dirt. My sister sensed my anxiety by that time and offered oven cleaner, achohol and perioxide. By that time cement couldn't have gotten any harder. Off to the store for finger nail polish. Paid nearly 2.00 for a bottle at the country store. Soaked my hands in it for 30 minutes and still wouldn't budge. Finally my sister asked me if I had tried washing my hands with dirt. I said What!!! She said, haven't you ever been on the river bank and had to wash the goo off your hands from the worms? So, I reached down and grabbed a handful of dirt and began rubbing. I dipped my hand in a barrel of rainwater and kept rubbing. I noticed a little bit of difference. So, I went back and got more dirt. I kept this up for about 6 or 7 trips to the rain barrel and waaaalaaaa........ most of it was gone. So, when all else fails, try a little dirt to get to some of the toughest chemicals to break loose! Go figure!!!! No wonder we always had our hands in the dirt when we were kids!
    Last edited by #1piecemaker; 04-28-2015 at 12:25 PM.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Power Poster
    ​The dirt probably worked as an abrasive to clean it off. Whatever works!

Blog Entries
    I've used dirt to get tar off my hands before--glad it worked for your mess!

I have ants this time of year, too. My husband calls them water ants. Once it warms up for good, they seem to disappear.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Great, interesting story. dirt is good for some things.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Try diazinon for the ants if you can find it. A few little granules and no more ants.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Or, since you live in the South, sprinkle some grits on their trails. they eat them, drink a bit of water, and BOOM! no more ants!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Ha!Ha! After all that, and dirt works the best! Gotta remember that. Thanks for sharing~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Good grief, Leesa , what an ordeal! I'm so glad your sister thought up a good idea. I hope your hands aren't raw from all that scrubbing. Gina

Try cinnamon around the ants point of entry to the house, and sprinkle it around the perimeter of the house several times a year.

I had an ant super high way several years ago, and sprinkled cinnamon on it. Within 2 hours the ants had abandoned that highway! I think cinnamon interferes with the ants sense of smell and destroys their ability to follow the trail left by the scout ant - the one who found the "gold mine". If directly poured on them, it kills them.

I sprinkled it under the outside of the door jams, and repeat that every year, and have had no more ants in the house.

There is no guarantee that this will work - your ants may be different from the ants here in SC - but it's cheap to try. If you could make some kind of a paste with the cinnamon, you might be able to "paint" it on the pipes or in the tiles.

WARNING: I don't recommend using this on fire ants because they are so aggressive, and may not be affected by cinnamon! I've never tried cinnamon on them because of that.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Wow, I am glad you found something or how could you sew! Thanks for the info. Who would know.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    FYI - Johnson's Baby powder sprinkled where you need it will stop ANTS right away. They haven't come back yet this year.
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

Sorry for your troubles.....loved your story!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

My grandmother (lived not too for from Ashdown, in the Grapevine area) called them piss ants. They were in her kitchen from time to time. When they got too bothersome she would have one of us kids go find the ant hill so it could destroyed.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have used that spray insulation but I wore rubber disposal gloves which then I tossed. It is amazing how many tiny holes there are in our homes!! Weird how the dirt worked.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Since we're on this subject, does anyone know what will take the adhesive that is left behind by EKG patches? DH had major surgery this month, two weeks ago, and we still can't get the black adhesive off his skin from the patches. I tried rubbing alcohol but it did nothing and I don't want to use anything too toxic on him right now.

While reading your remedy, I was thinking sand but dirt works too!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Cinnamon is heavy and the spicy oil in it burns the ants. when they smell it they back off. My grandmother use to line her pantry with it. The area right behind her canisters was also lined so ants would stay out of the coffee, sugar, flour and tea. Ants are sneaky. Like all of a sudden there they are.

Blog Entries
    I can not stand anything sticky-freaks me out. The 1st time I used that stuff it was my worst night mare come true. It shot out of the can like an exploding shaken soda. It even got in my hair. Once my son calmed me down he used the kerosene from my lantern to clean me up and the rest of the mess. I only lost a couple strands of hair but I realized I hate camera phones too-- he thought it was a fine time to do a photo shoot and he posted them on FB But no more ants or mice came in after that.

Did you get rid of the ants?
    I have always used vasoline as the ants will not corss it.
    Life is Great and then I have to go to WORK.
    Jarenie

Try massaging lightly with baby oil or olive oil to remove sticky residue....works for labels too.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I tried nearly every safe, old, organic trick I read for the ant problem here at the farm....including cinnamon inside, which has stained all the woodwork and tile backsplash in the kitchen. The only thing that ever helped me was Terro Outdoor Ant Killer in the orange bag from Walmart/Lowes/etc.
    You walk around the house shaking the pellets out of the holes in the bottom of the bag every 6 weeks or so. NO ants.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Jan, Ive had luck with terro too, but I use the little traps because of all the animals I have around outside. Ive also made my own with boric acid and sugar and water or corn syrup. It works pretty well. Someone posted about grits, wonder if cornmeal would do the same thing ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
    Since we're on this subject, does anyone know what will take the adhesive that is left behind by EKG patches? DH had major surgery this month, two weeks ago, and we still can't get the black adhesive off his skin from the patches. I tried rubbing alcohol but it did nothing and I don't want to use anything too toxic on him right now.
    I would try using baby oil, olive oil, or something similar.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
    i would try margarine for this one -- it works on roof tar -- it should work on that adhesive!
    for the ants, i use black pepper instead of the more expensive cinnamon, they won't cross it, it interferes with their senses
    "variety is the spice of life"

Thanks for the info. Those little guys are a pain to get rid of

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast