Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Very old remedy to clean stuff off of your hands

Sticky goo is such a pain - glad you got it off. So what happened with the ants?
    Honeygram2

Thanks for my "morning laugh".
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Blog Entries
    I'm going back up today to check out the ant situation. We have tried the cinnamon. We have tried sprays. There for awhile my mama was leaving a plate with jelly or peanut butter out on the table and then drowning them. We kept telling her that there were millions more where those came from. But, it seemed to keep her entertained. But, I think she realized the games were over the night that she reached for a drink of some Yahoo she had put on the night stand for during the night thirst.... and swallowed a mouth full of the little suckers before she realized they they had traveled to the bedroom.
    We put cormmeal all over the yard last week also, thinking that they would eat it and swell up. I'll report in on how they are coming along when I get home this afternoon. Hope I have good news..!!Thanks for all the helpful suggestions on keeping them at bay!!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Blog Entries
    You can sprinkle Borax around your home and get rid of just about any bug including roaches. My Aunt bought an apartment house and found roaches when they were cleaning, used Borax and they were gone in less then a week.
    Great stuff. I've used it to get rid of fleas by sprinkling Borax on the carpeting leaving it for about 30 minutes then vacuuming. Works great and the fleas don't come back.

I use liquid Terro, put a little bit on cardboard, ants drink it up and take it back to nest, and kill everybody. Works every time. Keep away from pets. Almost anything oily will take off sticky. Citronl is one I use, biodegradable and smells like oranges. Takes off greasy and sticky. Goo gone is good to but stinky it self although smell washes off easy.
    Your mind is a garden,
    Your thoughts are seeds.
    You can grow flowers,
    Or you can grow weeds.

Blog Entries
    My home sits on what used to be a cherry orchard, so I have ants. Four years ago, my aunt who has been a country girl her whole life told me to mix boric acid and powdered sugar with a stick (boric acid is toxic so NO silverware), put into old jar lids, place around the outside of the house opposite where the trails are, and just wait. Zillions of ants will be attracted to it, eat it and die! Worked great! I haven't even seen an ant since.
    Last edited by madamekelly; 04-30-2015 at 09:00 AM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

It is amazing how small the ants nests are. Those tiny buggers would always invade our house in S. Florida too. Hated them. Could not leave anything out. Bread had to be kept in the refrig. It always looked like a had a lot of food in the refrig but really it was all the things that I wanted to keep away from the ants. We tried everything to get rid of them. Each year they came back. The house had wooden siding so they had a lot of entry points. We just considered it part of living in the tropics!

Loved your story about the expanding insulation. Glad you were able to finally find the remedy to getting it off your hands. I hope you have not peeled the skin off the hands from all the remedies that would not budge the stuff.

Blog Entries
    That was my first thought, AlvaStitcher. How much of her hide did she lose in trying all those remedies. My hands are aching just reading this post. But maybe mine are just old with thin skin anymore. I guess I've never had to deal with ants to this extent, I know they come with the warm weather, but a little pepper or something along the back of the kitchen counter gets rid of them. Poor thing, swallowing her Yahoo with ants in it......
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Blog Entries
    I used expanding foam insulation about 3 weeks ago and also didn't read the instructions first. Got it on my fingers and hands and didn't think it would be so hard to get off. I was sure I'd just surf the internet and find a handy solution to my problem, but no, --- all those answers all amounted to "it will wear off in a few days." Yikes, we were now getting ready for church, where we start out with a greeting/sharing of the peace which, of course, includes shaking hands. Well, I was embarrased!!! I won't forget to put on the gloves first the next time I use that stuff.
    I get rid of ants with Terro ant killer. If they are the "grease" ants, just take a drop of vegetable oil and stir it into the liquid ant killer. Always have great results with their product.
    Mavis

bee 3, I tried the cornmeal and it didn't seem to do any good.
    Last edited by marcias; 05-03-2015 at 09:43 AM.
    Marcia in TX.

bay leaves work too... i use terro ant killer too. when i can find it.
    Last edited by hamchips88; 05-03-2015 at 10:18 AM.
    ​DEBRA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2