Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
here is my pink and red... too much? >

here is my pink and red... too much?

here is my pink and red... too much?

Old 01-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the quick post back of the photo .... it's eve nicer once I see the whole thing!
Whomever is the recipient is certainly one very fortunate and much loved wee Miss!

Sorry for the confusion ... when I said lighter, I was actually meaning the darker of the two .... and thinking lighter in comparison to the strawberry strips! Here we go again, re red and pink ........ when I look at the photo, yes the pink satin matches the pinks in your quilt, but because they are subtly there, we don't really see them from the distance. Whereas the green and strawberry, and even the blues show up in the photo. Because of the strength/intensity of the green and strawberries, I think you need a strong coloured frame around the whole thing, when you do your ruffle.

So to me, the green to use, would be the background green already there, as you are not adding in a new colour. Bonus ... to me, the green satin would look quite luxurious too once it is ruffled up

And definitely keep the pale pink minky ... I love that stuff and still want to put it on the back of a quilt for me!

Just the explanation about my thoughts ... you really do need to do what you want and like the most!

Regardless of what you choose, you've got a treasure of a quilt!
Old 01-20-2017, 03:28 AM

What a cute quilt! And I love the minky back but personally I'd ditch the pink binding and go for either the green or the red in the top. When I'm looking at the pinks that you have auditioned, that's what I see instead of the top itself. Perhaps it's the shiny surface of the satin binding that commands my attention??
Old 01-20-2017, 03:51 AM

All I see is the pink border. I believe that borders should be like picture frames. They should make the quilt stand out. I would find another color or shade of pink.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:39 AM

Go for the green. Pink competes with the reds. At least in the photo.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:02 AM

thank you so much for your input. I live in the sticks so I am at a disadvantage on fabric shopping especially satin. You think this color would be better than the pinks
Attached Thumbnails 2017-01-20-08_00_31-amazonsmile_-slipper-satin-kelly-green-fabric-yard-internet-explore.png  
Old 01-20-2017, 05:14 AM

Think a green would be nice but you have to choose what you like.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:12 AM

I don't envy you sewing satin and minky together. I think you will have a lot of slipping and sliding going on. If you haven't put these two together before then I would use some scraps and see how they sew together.

If you have used these two together could you share some tips on how you keep all the different layers stable and not shifting please.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I don't envy you sewing satin and minky together. I think you will have a lot of slipping and sliding going on. If you haven't put these two together before then I would use some scraps and see how they sew together.

If you have used these two together could you share some tips on how you keep all the different layers stable and not shifting please.
Honestly, I don't 100% if I have done the satin with the minky backing I know that I have done minky backing and I have done the satin ruffles. I know 100% I have done the satin ruffle with fleece backing.

After I cut my strips of satin I put fray block on the edges. That helps with the texture of the satin. I also make a big ruffle and I think the ruffling helps a little as well. Then I pin the heck out of it

I will see how the minky goes
Old 01-20-2017, 08:33 AM

Your quilt is just adorable. You always do such nice work. I'll be watching for the final reveal.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:15 AM

yes, goes better with the back, too!