Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   here is my pink and red... too much? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/here-my-pink-red-too-much-t285362.html)

meyert 01-19-2017 03:57 PM

here is my pink and red... too much?

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you everyone for your replies on my pink and red question. Here is the quilt that I am working on.. Strawberry Shortcake BQ2. I really like this pattern and I like the red and green with the Strawberry Shortcake

The big light pink is minky for the back and I think I like that.

I have this pink slipper satin for a ruffle around the edges. Do you think these work? Is the ruffle material the right shade of pink? Thoughts????
[ATTACH=CONFIG]566136[/ATTACH]

nativetexan 01-19-2017 04:11 PM

not in any way shape or form. it looks great!!!!

pewa88 01-19-2017 04:13 PM

I like what you have but am wondering if you might audition a shade of green for the satin binding. That bright pink seems to get all of the attention. JMHO

susie-susie-susie 01-19-2017 04:37 PM

I agree with pewa88, the bright pink seems too bright. I would go with a machine green, I think it wouldn't take away from the rest of the quilt.
Sue

zozee 01-19-2017 04:53 PM

Children love the satin edges. Mine always called it their silky blankie. I think the pink there is too bright , personally, and I'm wondering if it'll slip and slide all over the minky? I've never worked with either one .

meyert 01-19-2017 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks everyone for your thoughts.... I too thought about a lighter green ruffle... but I am just trying to use what I have (ha ha)

Do you think this pink is better?

the outer border is not sewn on yet.. so its not the right width

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566137[/ATTACH]

popover 01-19-2017 05:07 PM

That ping does work much better. It doesn't assault the eyes.

minibarn 01-19-2017 05:14 PM

Yes that pink is much better. It matches SSC's hat, and the minky.

QuiltE 01-19-2017 05:37 PM

I'll add my two cents worth .... agree, the 2nd pink satin works better than the 1st.

Although, like already suggested, I would audition a green satin, to go with your green background fabric. I think you may find that it would blend in even nicer as it would frame everything up more so than the pale pink. Yes, the pink works but it almost drops off the edge (to me). I know you are wanting to use what you have, but I also know, you like to make quilts that look the best they can!

I'd really like to see your quilt top without the minky (it'll be a great backing!)
.... I like what I see and want to see it all! :)
Your border material is perfect with it. And I particularly like the depth of colour in the green and strawberry strips, as they take your eye towards the fancy Strawberry Shortcake blocks and frame them up nicely.

Good Luck!

meyert 01-19-2017 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know exactly what you are saying about the lighter pink satin "falling off" that is why I was playing around with the darker pink

Do you think a lighter green or a darker green instead of the pink?

Thank you for your kind words - - here is quilt top so far. I thought the green and red worked well too - bonus I got them 50% off at LQS end of year sale

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566146[/ATTACH]