Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexie..another way >

Hexie..another way

Hexie..another way

Old 06-21-2014, 06:11 AM

Default Hexie..another way

After watching YouTube of Sue Daley and her glue method I have been intrigued and wondered if this glue pen was available here in USA...FOUND it at pieceocake.com --- also Becky's video on using it. So, I ordered one...anything to make life easier and making prep time a "piece o cake"!!!!!!!! I am no affiliated with PoC, but have tried their hand appliqué technique and it was helpful, so I will try this.......will let you know when glue pen arrives how it is......like the Little Mermaid....I have gadgets and gizmos galore...but I want more!! this song is running thru my head lately because GGD who is three loves the music cd from movie and we play it in the car when she is with us...and have watched the movie more times than I care to talk about! PS...she overnites here weekly
Old 06-21-2014, 07:14 AM

....then I found hillbillyhandiworks.com. She does fussy cutting hexies, called Ahhhs......using that glue pen and some really cool fabric...this is never ending ......
Old 06-21-2014, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

I have the vinyl hexes called Quilt Patis and found glue did not work well on the slick vinyl but scotch tape does !! Saves time from doing all the basting. I pull the tape off when all 6 sides of a hex has been attached to other hexes.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I bought that glue stick a few years ago either at a quilt shop or vendor booth, can't remember. I guess I was thinking ahead as I found a package of glue refills I bought with it. LOL. I dug it out when seeing the post about it. I am intrigued about the tape idea. I am going to try sticky dots, they are double sided sticky, used in scrapbooking.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:02 AM

You can use just about any glue stick, as long as it's washable. Fons & Porter also makes a glue stick and refills that are easier to find than poor Sue Daley's product. I've used their refills in Sue's stick.

Just wait until the glue manufacturers catch on and start making skinnier sticks....

Edit: just looked at my glue stick and realized it's NOT one of Sue Daley's - it's a Sewline product!
Old 06-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I just tried the glue stick using card stock paper hexies. It worked great. My glue stick is the Sewline too. But isn't that a Sue Daley product? I have lots of Elmer's washable glue sticks. I am going to heat the glue from one and pour it in an empty pen refill. Let it set and..... who knows it may work and if it doesn't I'm out a little time and spent about a dime. The refills are not that easy to find in my area and ordering the shipping is more then the refills.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My glue stick is the Sewline too. But isn't that a Sue Daley product?
Ha ha!! You know, I think you're right!!! I'm such a doorknob!!

Fortunately, my LQS carries refills, so I don't have to order online.

Last edited by Peckish; 06-21-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I just tried the glue stick using card stock paper hexies. It worked great. My glue stick is the Sewline too. But isn't that a Sue Daley product? I have lots of Elmer's washable glue sticks. I am going to heat the glue from one and pour it in an empty pen refill. Let it set and..... who knows it may work and if it doesn't I'm out a little time and spent about a dime. The refills are not that easy to find in my area and ordering the shipping is more then the refills.
Report back after you do your little experiment, please!

Inquiring minds wanna know....
Old 06-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

When I use up the glue in the pen I'll certainly try it and post about it.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:58 AM
GG

I found the glue would not hold unless uou hand sewed them quickly and they where not very good