Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexie..another way >

Hexie..another way

Hexie..another way

Old 06-22-2014, 06:33 PM

Speaking of another way to sew hexies, I use a rubber stamp to mark the fabric. Then I cut them out and sew by hand and have no paper to take out or basting stitches. They are fun to do, I am making diamonds with mine and hope to have enough to make a lap quilt soon. They are my take along project.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:40 PM

We were finishing up a hexie quilt someone else started, and a lot of people were working on it. I tried using the washable glue to fold the seam allowances over onto the freezer paper. I tried to glue only the fabric in the corners because I didn't want the fabric to be glued to the papers. But it didn't work too well. Some people sewed these together with invisible thread, and that worked OK, but if they were hand sewn it didn't hold up well enough.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:05 PM

Oh my goodness, OnebyOne thanks for putting in the link for Sue Daley's hexi process. I've been doing these by hand sewing to the card stock paper for a couple of years now. I'm so happy to learn about the glue method and the knicker-knot also. This is going to save me so much time! Now to find the hexi shaped template to use with the rotary cutter. I've been doing them one by one. What a great thread!!!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Good point.....has anyone else found this to be the case...glue only short term hold.......I would hate to do a truckload of these, set aside for awhile, semiUFO, then go back and find them all undone! I think I will email pieceocake and ask the question about longevity of glue pen. Thanks for that heads up!
I've got some that I glued up about 3 months ago and put in my travel bag - pulled them out yesterday and they're still glued tight....and mine on are plastic templates....
Old 06-23-2014, 02:15 AM

I am just getting ready to begin my very first hexi project. Thanks so much for this thread, all the comments, and the video. I think you have just set me up for success!
Old 06-23-2014, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
Oh my goodness, OnebyOne thanks for putting in the link for Sue Daley's hexi process. I've been doing these by hand sewing to the card stock paper for a couple of years now. I'm so happy to learn about the glue method and the knicker-knot also. This is going to save me so much time! Now to find the hexi shaped template to use with the rotary cutter. I've been doing them one by one. What a great thread!!!
Here is a free printable hexie pattern that you can cut apart with a rotary cutter-I used my paper cutter from my card making supplies. You can cut hexies, triangles and diamonds from this sheet. I must say, the fisckar hexie punch (around $9 with coupon) is MUCH faster and easier tho!

http://sewquickly.com/1-hexie-template-free-download/
Old 06-23-2014, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

Jillmc is right.

Do yourself a favor and don't cut hex paper shapes. Buy the Fiskar punch. And you don't have to cut fabric hex shapes if you don't want to, a square of fabric will work the same.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
This video will show you the basics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqa70gU-E9U
Thank you. This did help with answers. I couldn't view the other video so was a bit frustrated. I'm just surprised you can get the templates out once you glue them in! The things one learns from quilters! I'm loving all the shortcut hints that are posted. Yes! I can see this will speed up the GFG progress, lots! Time to go give it a try!
Thank you again!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 AM

I use squares all the time, it is just as easy if not easier to cut a square than to cut a hexie.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by trish b View Post
Speaking of another way to sew hexies, I use a rubber stamp to mark the fabric. Then I cut them out and sew by hand and have no paper to take out or basting stitches. They are fun to do, I am making diamonds with mine and hope to have enough to make a lap quilt soon. They are my take along project.
Now that is interesting...who, where, rubber stamps.....Diamonds...how???

Now if you really want to watch interesting video go to hillbillyhandiworks and watch her do fussy cut hexies!