Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexie clarification needed! >

Hexie clarification needed!

Hexie clarification needed!

Old 06-09-2014, 09:12 AM

Default Hexie clarification needed!

I am so confused! I think i know the answer, but is a 1" hexie 1" across the middle of it, or is each side 1"? Doh!
Here is my first flower....thought i was making 1" hex's but now i think they are 2"!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

your flower came out nice. the measurements for a hexie are one SIDE so measure the lenght of the side.
I'm working on 3/4" ones right now myself.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:26 AM

Lynnie has answered your question but I just wanted to say that fabric is gorgeous!
I'm currently making flowers with 1 1/2" hexies and really enjoying it!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:34 AM

Oh yay!!!!! I thought I did this wrong! Haha! Each side is 1"....I picked up a punch this morning with a coupon, so I can now cut my templates. This first flower was practice-it was fun to make! I don't think I can baste a bunch without putting them together-I will stack flowers instead of hexis! Hope the quilt police don't mind! Thanks for the info! You guys are great!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:43 AM

I've been making mine with leftover purple and white on white fabrics that I used to make another quilt. I've paired up all the fabrics and can get 2 purple and 2 white flowers out of each pair. I've been basting at least one set of fabrics before making my flowers, but it's so tempting to just make the flowers as soon as I have enough basted for one!
I am absolutely loving hexies! I kept reading about them on here and never thought I could be bothered with them, but I'm so glad I took the plunge! I got some free hexie papers from "love patchwork and quilting" magazine which gave me the push I needed to have a go!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sisty88 View Post
I've been making mine with leftover purple and white on white fabrics that I used to make another quilt. I've paired up all the fabrics and can get 2 purple and 2 white flowers out of each pair. I've been basting at least one set of fabrics before making my flowers, but it's so tempting to just make the flowers as soon as I have enough basted for one!
I am absolutely loving hexies! I kept reading about them on here and never thought I could be bothered with them, but I'm so glad I took the plunge! I got some free hexie papers from "love patchwork and quilting" magazine which gave me the push I needed to have a go!
Can this mag be purchased in US....I see it is UK publication...if available here, where? Thanks..would like to pick up issue 9, the latest...looks interesting
Old 06-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Yes, this does get confusing. I like the 1" side size which is a finished measurement. 3/4" is just a bit too small for me. Someone has pretty toenails painted !!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Can this mag be purchased in US....I see it is UK publication...if available here, where? Thanks..would like to pick up issue 9, the latest...looks interesting
I'm not sure if it's available in any shops in the US, but you can buy it from www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk
I actually ended up getting a subscription to it by accident (I was trying to buy "british patchwork and quilting" but didn't look properly at what I was buying!) but I'm really glad that I did! I enjoy looking at it more than the one I meant to buy! It's also available in digital format I believe :-)
Old 06-09-2014, 10:36 AM

That is a very pretty flower. You do very neat work!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:47 AM

Lol, maniacquilter! My vision is poor.....thought I had cropped out my toes! Geesh. I better have someone else do my editing!