Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Comment about batting and a question >

Comment about batting and a question

Comment about batting and a question

Old 06-02-2014, 10:22 AM

Default Comment about batting and a question

I love to look at quilt magazines, quilt books, pics on here of quilts made by members, and all things quilty. But one thing that frustrates me, when considering a quilt I'd like to make, is that the instructions for a quilt OR descriptions of a quilt that someone has made, very seldom (to almost never) talks about the batting they've used.

To get the look of the quilting that is seen in the various pictures of mags and individuals, one must know the batting. Not knowing what has been used is so frustrating to me. And I would think that the proper batting for the look one is trying to achieve would be essential.

Does anyone know why they do not list the batting in the materials list? Because we all know that we can change anything listed to our own preferences. But having that starting point would sure make decisions easier for many of us.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

I so agree with your comments.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:26 AM

Interesting point. I had not noticed that. I wonder if it has to do with advertising (or not advertising). I've got a selection of battings to practice on - and to see how I like them - but the 14 x 14 squares, don't give a great idea of how a batting will drape on a larger piece.

Cheers, K
Old 06-02-2014, 10:31 AM

Good point. To sidestep promotional issues they could list the type of batting but not the manufacturer. For example 100% cotton, whether it has a scrim, how far apart it can be quilted and what their quilting choices were. Magazine editors are you taking note?
Old 06-02-2014, 10:36 AM

I agree that sometimes the choice of batting would affect the look of the quilt. At the same time, I believe that quilters have preferences. For example, I will not use polyester batting. Yes, I will NOT get that poufy look. And that is something I have accepted. So, I can look at patterns, either follow them completely or be inspired by them. When it comes to batting, I only use 100% cotton and I do have a favorite brand.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Maybe they are assuming that quilters understand batting. For example, polyester battings do not shrink so you get a more modern, puffy look. Cotton battings that are not prewashed will shrink and give a vintage "crinkled" look.

I am thinking also that most quilts photographed for magazines have never been washed. In this case, cotton, wool and polyester battings will look similar to one another.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:59 AM

I just started quilting about 7 months ago. I wish that I had known how important batting was then. I didnt realize that the batting is the soul of the quilt!

I would have used a different batting on 4 of my quilts if I had known then what I know now!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:41 AM

It's possible that batting specifics aren't mentioned in quilting magazines and books because it's not a priority of the editorial staff, there might be space limitations which prevent them from doing so, or it could be that the editorial staff simply isn't that knowledgeable about batting, so they don't bother with it. Not sure, just speculating.

The best way to figure out what battings you like and how they behave is to purchase several that interest you, cut a 14" square from each one, layer them with white or off-white muslin, quilt them, wash them and make notes about your findings.

Last edited by Terri D.; 06-02-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:46 AM

I understand. I am a newbie quilter too. It is a learning process :-) Fortunately, there are a lot of resources to answer questions :-)
Originally Posted by Kitty10628 View Post
I just started quilting about 7 months ago. I wish that I had known how important batting was then. I didnt realize that the batting is the soul of the quilt!

I would have used a different batting on 4 of my quilts if I had known then what I know now!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:11 PM

Quilters develop their own preference for battings. It is a matter of like/ dislike that is either learned by experience or by word of mouth from other quilters. IMHO pattern designers do not recommend batting because it may not be what the quilter likes or would use. I realy like Hobbs 80/20 and do not like W&N or poly batting. But that does not mean that they are bad. Just my personal opinion. New quilters can learn from others on this board about +/- of battings. Also they can buy small amounts of batting and use it in wall hangings/baby quilts or table runners to see which on e they like. Also the batting can depend on how the quilt is being used.