Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • ????? On Hexies. >
  • ????? On Hexies.

• ????? On Hexies.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    I'm not a good explainer so here is an online tut. Many of them out there, even on youtube.

http://www.patchworkposse.com/2013/06/hexagon-quilt-tutorial/

onebyone, can you show a pictorial of how you do it?

Thanks for posting the link ... always a good reminder!
    Old 04-25-2014, 06:39 AM

Yesterday I was watching Quilting daily and this lady was doing Hexies like this, was very interesting no cardboard or templates. Check this out.. http://www.quiltingdaily.com/media/g...2/default.aspx
    Old 04-28-2014, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by sandypants
    Yesterday I was watching Quilting daily and this lady was doing Hexies like this, was very interesting no cardboard or templates. Check this out.. http://www.quiltingdaily.com/media/g...2/default.aspx
    i have used this technic on making Hexies and I love it. No templates, cardboard. Here are a couple pics of ones I have made. They just need to be starched and pressed. I am not knocking the other ways of making Hexies, I just like this one.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]473397[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]473395[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Old 04-28-2014, 07:42 AM

Is this where you start with a circle--pic above--- I think this way is two layers already front and back
    Old 04-30-2014, 06:14 AM

I cut my own hexies from card stock. For the fabric I actually take straight vano starch and on pieces about 1/2 yd I paint it on soaking the fabric, then I smooth it onto a flat surface. I have a smooth metal door I use for this, put paper on the floor to catch drips - side of fridge works well. After dry, I press the fabric. Now cut it into sizes that are big enough for the hexie form and seam allowance. You can finger press over the edge of the papers. Now take a stitch on the back side where the seam allowance is at each corner one stitch, then move to next corner leaving that long thread between each stitch and go all the way around to the start stitch and knot off. They stay nice and neat, perfect match at corners and the card stop will just pop out easily when you have attached the next row. Don't remove the papers till the next row is in place. Here' a picture of mine waiting for me to add them. Notice the seam allowance is larger than needed. Just before I take out the papers I trim them down. A step you don't need to do, but I like the extra for when I'm folding them in place so I don't have to be so careful about positioning them and worry about coming up short on one corner. [ATTACH=CONFIG]473695[/ATTACH]
    I store them in an old 3" floppy box and since one round takes 8 hexies in the pattern I'm doing, I rubber band them in quantities of 8.

Happy stitching
    Attached Thumbnails cam00022.jpg  
    Old 05-03-2014, 04:04 PM

Tut - not sewing through paper
    Old 05-04-2014, 02:56 PM

I have a video tutorial that might be helpful. You can work with either freezer paper or cardstock. In either case, you baste along the corners. This allows you to pull the papers out easily to reuse them. I hope this is helpful:
    http://ajpadilla.com/tutorials/engli...video-tutorial
    Old 05-06-2014, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by sandypants
    I want to make some Hexies, but have a question......when basting around the cardboard, how do you not stitch the cardboard? Because it looks like you fold right up to the cardboard. Maybe an easy ? For some, difficult for me......Thanks for all help.
    Just took a class on English paper piecing. Fantastic!! Check out the book, "new English paper piecing" by Sue Daley. It's sooo fast and NO sewing around the templates. You glue and then sew and when your done with your 'flower', whatever, you take the cardboard/template right out and you can reuse it. This method is so exciting and so fast.