Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
????? On Hexies. >

????? On Hexies.

????? On Hexies.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 AM

Question ????? On Hexies.

I want to make some Hexies, but have a question......when basting around the cardboard, how do you not stitch the cardboard? Because it looks like you fold right up to the cardboard. Maybe an easy ? For some, difficult for me......Thanks for all help.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I don't use hex templates. I use pre cut hex fabric, fold and sew 1/4" seam two together, keep adding a hex as I go. No stitches show, no basting, and no paper to remove. This is how I was taught to make hexes from a friend's mother. I haven't made a hexie with templates so I don't know how you baste them. I'll have to check it out.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:23 AM

I'm not a good explainer so here is an online tut. Many of them out there, even on youtube.

http://www.patchworkposse.com/2013/06/hexagon-quilt-tutorial/

onebyone, can you show a pictorial of how you do it?
Old 04-22-2014, 07:06 AM

When I baste the hexies, I go through the card stock, one stitch per side. When sewing, it is easy to just pick up a few threads for the whip stitch. The GFG I am working on is my first, so I sort of made it up as I went along. Maybe the quilt police will come after me- too bad for them. After I have sewn all the sides on a hexie, I pull out the basting stitch and the card to reuse. It is a great hand project.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 AM

Check this way out it was on quilting arts on Saturday the is a tread on the board "Folded Hexagon Quilt" ( I don't know how to make it a link)
http://thequiltandneedle.blogspot.co...-tutorial.html
Old 04-22-2014, 07:44 AM

Cindy Blackburn has stamps for the hexis. It has the cutting line and the sewing line. No templates needed.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:10 AM

Thanks for these ideas on hexies.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM

I have been using freezer paper ironed onto the wrong side. I HAD been basting thru, until a friend showed me what she was doing using plastic templates. I iron the freezer paper on, making sure that I then starch the fabric so that it has some body. Finger press each side down on the back side, which will make creases that will then form nice mitered corners, which when I baste, I baste the miter, only thru the fabric. It is said the freezer paper can be reused, but since I have easy access to a commercial die cutting machine in the high school, and freezer paper is cheap, I haven't tried it yet, but I have kept them. HTH... ask if you have questions and I will try to explain a little more
Old 04-22-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
When I baste the hexies, I go through the card stock, one stitch per side. When sewing, it is easy to just pick up a few threads for the whip stitch. The GFG I am working on is my first, so I sort of made it up as I went along. Maybe the quilt police will come after me- too bad for them. After I have sewn all the sides on a hexie, I pull out the basting stitch and the card to reuse. It is a great hand project.

This is what I did for my tumbling blocks quilt as well. I used old file folders to make my templates and did large stitches through that then did my whip stitching. Easy to remove after the fact.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:42 PM

I use (or reuse) the card stock that is in all the magazines as advertisements or mail-in cards. It is the same as cardstock and does not cost me anything. Of course, I pay for the magazine. Last year I did a flag with 1/2" hexs
and it took awhile to do. Very small stitches too. I completed most of the flag, 294 hexs, and then took the papers out before I appliqued it to the sky background fabric. I framed it, took it out of the frame to put in the quilt show because it could not be framed for the show, now I have to put it back in the frame. Oh, well.