Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hidden Wells Quilt >

Hidden Wells Quilt

Hidden Wells Quilt

Old 06-20-2014, 04:08 PM

Default Hidden Wells Quilt

I just finished my Hidden Wells top, and I want to add a border, do any of you have any suggestions on how to add the border without getting ripples since it is all on the bias. Thanks, Sandy
Old 06-20-2014, 04:55 PM

I've done several Hidden Wells quilts, and I do my borders just like any other quilts I do. Measure across the middle both for the width and the length, pin the borders in place, and stitch! It will ease in and ripples will disappear if you by chance have any, which you really shouldn't have, if you haven't stretched on the biased edges. My favorite one I've done so far was all in neutral colors... a gift for a dear friend of mine, which I called "Sands Of Time", which describes our friendship.
Attached Thumbnails sandsoftime.jpg  
Old 06-20-2014, 04:57 PM

It is a beautiful quilt - I am sure it will be treasured.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

Madan49, that quilt is exquisite.

As far as the borders,starch helps stabilize the bias edges, handle carefully, measure, pin, sew. But I haven't made that pattern, and so I don't understand why the edges would be on the bias. Aren't they cut like setting triangles for any quilt that's set on point?
Old 06-20-2014, 07:46 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Here's a trick that I developed when I had my first top with bias edges. I freely share it with the QB.
It uses narrow twill tape, found in the hem tape/blanket binding/rick rack section at Joann's.

Twill tape has NO stretch and is narrow enough to be sewn into the seam allowance along the edges. You will need several packs to go around a large quilt, measure before buying.

This graphic was drawn for a braided border, but can be used in a similar way for any bias border. Carefully ease tape onto the edges of the quilt and sew it down. Include it into the seam allowance when the next borders or the binding is added.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails twill-tape-bias-edge.jpg  

Last edited by Jan in VA; 06-20-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:21 PM

What a great idea! Twill is usually used when sewing stretchy knits in clothing. Look to some of your T-shirts -- it may have twill at the shoulder seams.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Madan49, that quilt is exquisite.

As far as the borders,starch helps stabilize the bias edges, handle carefully, measure, pin, sew. But I haven't made that pattern, and so I don't understand why the edges would be on the bias. Aren't they cut like setting triangles for any quilt that's set on point?
Dunster, every block in this pattern is quartered diagonally, and then reset to form the pattern, and you end up with a lot of bias edges... trust me. LOL! It's not THAT difficult if you're careful, but it does mean you have to pay attention not to stretch everything out of kilter as you work. But it's one of my favorite patterns... very versatile and choice of fabrics can change it from fun to elegant with a flick of the wrist. You should try it!
Old 06-21-2014, 04:01 AM

What a beautiful quilt! I have the pattern but have never made it. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:12 AM

Thanks to everyone. I don't think I stretched it any while sewing, I was real careful. It turned out so cute that I just wanted to get somebody else's opinion before I tried to sew a border on. I did a Spider Web quilt top from feed sacks and it rippled so bad when I sewed the border on, I took it off and it still is hanging in the closet, still has no borders. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:30 AM

I find that if you're working on a quilt that has basis edges, to starch the heck out of the fabric beforehand. I'm working on a Smith Mountain by Bonnie Hunter and I didn't starch any of it and am regretting it greatly. Won't make that mistake again. Also someone gave me the suggestion once when I found I had stretched my quilt when I it was on the frame to steam it and that should get rid of some if not all the extra fabric. I tried it and it worked like a charm for me.