Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
holy brain kaboom. >

holy brain kaboom.

holy brain kaboom.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:56 PM

Default holy brain kaboom.

a local quilter is thinning out her considerable fabric stash, so i went to take a look and bought an unused fabric kit called "morning glory stars" using prints and plaids.

the bag also contained a considerable amount of really beautiful chintz print fabrics from france. quilting weight and super lovely, complimenting the fabrics in the original quilt kit.

i don't really care for the moda pattern, so i stopped into my lqs to chat with the great designers there. included in the kit are 32 fat quarters and an abundance of border printed contrast fabric and a moda marble in cream/white.

so...i thought....i could use the plaids and floral prints to make a log cabin, but it turns out there is enough of just the floral or just the plaid to do a log cabin if i use that moda marble as the light...so half the cabin would be virtually monochrome.

THEN i thought OH! what if i make another double sided quilt and use the plaids in a nine patch pattern for the back?

so then i went looking for patterns and found this one:

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/10/...uilt.html#more

so i started to think maybe if i used both florals AND plaids in both the nine patch and the log cabin that would be amazing.

but NOW i don't know how to start cutting.

i am paralyzed.

should the 9 patch blocks mix the florals and the plaids? should i make the nine patches first and hope for the best with the remains of the fat quarters? can my logs for the log cabin be 2 inches instead of 1 inch so the piecing goes a little faster? will i get 1/2 through and discover i don't actually have enough fabric in long enough pieces?

why is quilting stressful more often than it needs to be?

i think my head exploded about an hour ago.

aileen

Last edited by stillclock; 11-15-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:03 PM

Your tale make me smile. My head explodes on a regular basis. It sounds as tho you have a pile of fabulous fabric and an even bigger pile of great ideas about what you could do with it. I am sure things will look much clearer after a couple of glasses of wine (or a good night's sleep)

I love the idea of a reversible quilt. Your best bet would be to make a firm decision on the size, pattern and fabric for ONE side. Figure out how much fabric you will need for THAT. In fact, you could even make up those blocks and set them aside. THEN you can make your decision about the second side. The only thing that has to be the same, is the size of the block.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:30 PM

It's hard to imagine the florals and plaids together without pics. It might help you if you take some pics and upload them to the computer.

I made the Sweet Menagerie and it was one of my favorite quilts. I will make another one day. I also love log cabins. The one in my avatar I used Tonga Treats Meringue for the lights. They do vary slightly in color up close, but from a distance look monochromatic. I don't mind the look though.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

I really like your brain kaboom line and I want to borrow it! You are not alone. Here is what I do when these fabric fits occur. I just get started and let the quilt go where it goes. It will become as big as my fabric lets it become and then I add a few borders if I want it bigger. Sometimes they end up being a wall hanging and sometimes a big quilt. Just use that beautiful fabric and what ever grows from your piecing will be beautiful too.

By the way, you can make logs as wide as you want in a log cabin so if 2 of 2 1/2" works for you, go for it!
I also like that nine patch you linked to.
peace
Old 11-15-2013, 05:34 PM

Just to fuel the explosion a little more ---- how about the nine patch as the center for the log cabin?
Old 11-16-2013, 06:41 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447161[/ATTACH]

i took ube's advice and got to work. the two-at-a-time nine patch method is fast, accurate and easy! after getting a few done i do wonder how old the kit was given that the colourways are pretty dated. but while i am not super thrilled most amazing quilt ever chuffed, i think it's mostly lovely!

thanks for your help

aileen
Attached Thumbnails blocks.jpg  

Last edited by stillclock; 11-16-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:42 AM

also, it's neat to work with such a variety of coordinated fabrics. while the colours might be a bit retro, they are in symphony with each other.

aileen
Old 11-16-2013, 10:59 AM

Could you plese explain what the "two at a time 9 patch " is please
Thank you
Old 11-16-2013, 11:35 AM

the only reversible quilt I have made was from Buggy Barn. wonky log cabin and I made it reversible, not the pattern. I agree with GingerK- do one side first. It is easier to do one side at a time rather than try to figure out and cut both sides and keep it all separate and clear.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:00 PM

Aileen, I agree.."mostly lovely". It has a soft, feminine, shabby chic look. I like it. Show us more as you go!