Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: That Purple Thing?

I've seen this in a few secret pal pictures -- what is it exactly?

Blog Entries
    It is a fun little tool that is very handy for pushing small pieces under your presser foot while keeping your finger safe. Sometimes when seams start going the wrong way, I can lift my presser foot and correct it with the purple thing. I bought it because it was purple, but find it very useful!!!:)

I bought mine because it seemed so handy to have at my sewing machine. I also use it like cmagee 44 does. I also use it when I am making straps for purses, or belts. After sewing the wrong sides together, I then use it to push the fabric through to the right side. I also use it to push out corners that come out rounded to give it a point. I also liked it because it was purple!

The slit is great for threading elastic or a drawstring through the sleeve.

Gee, I have to get busy and find mine. I bought it andnever used it! Anyone else do these goofy things!

Blog Entries
    O. k. I'm not with the program yet, what is this purple thing? I have no idea what it is either. Can you post pics.of it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie
    O. k. I'm not with the program yet, what is this purple thing? I have no idea what it is either. Can you post pics.of it?
    ditto :lol:

I took a quilt class and the instructor said we needed the "Purple Thang" for our class. The class is long over and I never did see anyone use it. Guess I should get mine out and get rid of my chop stick!!!

OMG! I use mine almost every time I am at the machine. You can do so many things with it. When it comes up missing, I search for it. I have crocks of various sizes and depths, and keep all my sewing tools in them. Keeps them organized and easier to see. Big one for fabric scissors, turners and rotary cutters, little ones for seam rippers, snips, that purple thang, thread scissors, pencils, etc. Looks kinda nice too! When I finish cleaning up, I will post some pics. Maybe next week, since I have a sewing class for my friend and her two daughters scheduled.

Here's a link to see what it is--
    http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/086283.html

Blog Entries
    wow, I saw one yesterday at the quilt shop but didn't know what it was?

thanks for letting us know

The square end of That Purple Thing is 1/4 inch. A good way to measure your seams, check your binding to make sure you leave a 1/4 inch for a mitered corner or just a good 1/4 measurement.

Blog Entries
    I use mine all the time

Blog Entries
    I have purchased a few. They are useful for all types of activities including quilting. I don't recommend you take to a class where you don't know the people as I have found it impossible to write my name on them and always seem to loose mine. Buy another.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    I have purchased a few. They are useful for all types of activities including quilting. I don't recommend you take to a class where you don't know the people as I have found it impossible to write my name on them and always seem to loose mine. Buy another.
    I put a dab of red nail varnish in the middle of mine!! Can find it easily if it strays!!
    Hilary

Have had one for yrs and all the hints offered are what it is great for! Last yr doing a project, reached for it, not there.....searched, could not find...got on computer---Nancy's notions....ordered three of them.....now I have four( found the missing one shortly after that frantic search).......but do not regret my "over-order".... I know there will always be one nearby!

I use a chop stick or shish kabob skewer

Quote Originally Posted by sdmcc View Post
    The square end of That Purple Thing is 1/4 inch. A good way to measure your seams, check your binding to make sure you leave a 1/4 inch for a mitered corner or just a good 1/4 measurement.
    That is a helpful tip! Thanks!

Wink

The "THING" was an invention of a very clever quilter Lynn Graves. She was the first to sell the first Ott lamp at her booth. She also sold the first 1/4" foot for quilters called "Little Foot" and a free motion foot called "Big foot" before any of the major brands of sewing machines started producing them. She also came out with numerous paper piecing patterns in a 12" finished block. This is a picture of MY "Thing"
    Attached Images Attached Images

A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Definitely a tool I use - had it for a long time before I used it - once I did I use it a lot!
    Quilting in the Desert

Blog Entries
    I took a class from Jackie Robinson 3d quilts and she asked us to have the "thang" to help with the turning of the pieces. I also made several of her 3d wallhangings.

I love my purple thang, had it for quite a while and didn't use it. One day I picked it up to push a corner out, and now I use it all the time for different tasks. Have a couple of them.
    Our lives are like quilts....bits and pieces....joys and sorrows....stitched together with love.
    Babylock Crescendo, Elegante2, and Ellure.....for the love of sewing!