Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • home longarm quilting machine >
  • home longarm quilting machine

• home longarm quilting machine

Old 08-26-2014, 05:22 AM

As others say, try & test drive before buying. I currently have a Handi Quilter Avante, which has an 18" throat space but only sews 15. I have had it for a few years & have outgrown it, looking to up grade to larger machine. I'm planning on buying a APQS soon as I sell my Avante, so my advice is as always, if your planning for long time use, is to purchase a machine that is a bit larger than you think you will need, because 3-4 years down the road you'll be wishing you had, (ask me how I know!)
    Old 08-26-2014, 12:10 PM

Like others, I suggest you spend some "shopping" time on this decision. If you can go to a large show that has many vendors, do so and spend the day trying out all the different types of set-ups. Ask about their service, warranties, sale of used models, trade-ins, classes or training, etc. I did all that, rented time on a long arm to see if I really wanted to sew that way (sure did!), talked with everyone I knew with one and asked what they liked, would get different if they were buying another one, and then an extensive google search that asked about long arm purchases--but only went to those sites that were not actually selling long arms. I ended up buying a used Gammill from a professional quilters widower--love, love,love it--but the learning curve was fairly steep at first, and while I got a great deal, I don't think I would have bought as large of machine (14' table/ 28" throat)--although I do occasionally quilt for others. I had been doing SID and FMQ on my domestic machine before the long arm
    Old 08-27-2014, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by goonberrie
    I am considering getting a longarm quilting machine. I am not in the $10000.00 price range, does anyone have any suggestions?do or do NOT get such and such machine? thank you.

Have you checked with the mfgr of L /A? Most have used and or lower cost machines.....
    Old 08-27-2014, 06:10 AM

Does anyone have the innova? I tried one out at the State Fair last year and was very impressed, but they aren't cheap. I probably would have to go for an used one when I get to that point, but was wondering if anyone out there had one.